Putting line on a centrepin

tiddlertamer

My most often used pin has 2 line guard positions so allowing the user to suit themselves and I think that is exactly what you should do.

But aren't those positions at approximately 6 o'clock and 3 o'clock (viewed with the handles on the right hand side) or 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock viewed with the handles on the left?

I can't recall ever having seen a reel with the lineguard up near the rod handle which is what would be needed if the line came off the top of the reel.

I'm not saying that any way is wrong as it's down to personal preference but it's a bit like winding a multiplier backwards to use it as a left hand wind reel.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Comming off the top for me for two reasons,I preffer to "bat" the reel to retrieve and I think you get better line control.

I alternate between winding in with a finger, using the handles, batting the drum and flicking the handle to wind in. You can bat the reel with the line coming off the bottom no prob's.

Interesting topic and for me personally both methods are used as I feel each has advantages for example if you are fishing a line between the end of the rod tip and the near bank I think that having the line coming off the top of the spool allows greater control and is less likely to tangle whereas casting any distance (ie wallace style) it is better to have the line coming off the bottom of the reel as the line falls away from the reel if you cast with the handles pointin toward the grouhnd then turning the rod over as the line tightens up to the drum. For the loop method either way can be used and is mainly down to the individuals preference of winding either clockwise or anti clockwise. A lot can also depend on the type of swim and whether it is clear or full of obstacles. For the loop method, it is also useful to have extra rings whipped or taped to the rod to enable more line to be pulled off. In essence I do not think that there is any right or wrong way but what is most confortable for the individual. On the subject of line guards, I do not use them unless they were an integral part of the reel such as on a Rapidex/Flickem type reel as I find they greatly impede things. One thing for certain is that you are always likely to get the odd tangle or two.