Putting line on a centrepin

tiddlertamer

I normally put my line on a centrepin such that the end goes clockwise and off the bottom of the drum before going through the line guard and on to the first rod ring. This means when I retrieve line I wind anti-clockwise.

Today I put on some new line and it goes off the top of the reel and through the line guard before reaching the first rod ring.

This means that I’ll wind clockwise to retrieve line which somehow seems more intuitive. :unsure:

Are there restrictions to this type of set-up though such as restricting certain types of cast? At present I just take a couple of loops of line in-between the first and second and second and third rod rings before releasing them consecutively as I cast.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I always have my line coming off the top of my pin so I wind in forwards rather than the wierd backwind style. I can't see the point in making it alkward by winding in backwards and also stopping you from doing a propper cast.

Try it both ways and use whatever way you feel most comfortable with, because you are the angler using your rod and line, there are no rules just feel comfortable and relaxed when you use it, if you feel uncomfortable you will never be happy and may loose a few good fish.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

With the line coming off the top of the reel and going through a line guard you're probably ruling out a wallis cast, no big deal if you're getting on fine with the loop method.

I wasn't sure how to load a centrepin when I first bought one so I did it in the same way that a fixed spool reel retrieves because I was already used to that.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have the line coming off the bottom of the reel. With the handles on the left this means a "normal" forwards wind. I don't have a problem with Wallis casting with a lineguard and have never understood why one should, after all your left hand effectively acts as a lineguard whilst casting............or am I just missing something?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I have the line coming off the bottom of the reel. With the handles on the left this means a "normal" forwards wind.

So do I - is this not the default "normal" way of doing it? Are people doing it other ways left-handed?

With the line coming off the top of the reel and going through a line guard you're probably ruling out a wallis cast, no big deal if you're getting on fine with the loop method.

It would also mean a rather peculiar position for a lineguard I'd have thought!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The best way is whatever you prefer, but just for info, I'm left handed, hold the rod in my right hand and have the line coming off the bottom and never use line guard.

I don't think I'd be able to cast very well with the line coming off the top, other than using the loop method.