One weekend left!

Anderoo

It has come to an end again; over and out; kaput, finished.

Another river season which began so gently and mild, has now flowed away downstream far too quickly with the latter half being one of the most persistently cold times on the bank side that I have ever experienced.

Memories are fantastic and we should all take time to reflect on our river seasons. Whilst Tench fishing in the summer my thoughts begin drifting to autumn perch and winter Chub and Roach; in the winter I think about the summer Tench and how much warmer it was! A number of great memories leap to mind leading up to the final weekend, amongst them the wonderful dimly-lit, dimpsey, December evening sessions with Anderoo on the Cherwell after monster Chub - every step of our walk back across the frozen, frosty field to the cars being met by a reassuring winter crunching noise as we discussed cheese paste, bread flake and the early onset of hyperthermia. Two weeks ago we were privileged to observe a Barn Owl enter the dusky residue and then begin to pare the far bank copse; he, or she, then suddenly turned and flew directly towards my wonderfully warm winter furry hat, passing over my head and towards his original entrance route – keeping dead still I was eyeball to eyeball for a wonderful but fleeting moment with surely one of the most beautiful, and rare, winged hunters. If I ever get that close to a wild Barn Owl again I will consider myself lucky for the second time in my life……

To the last weekend then, and finally a suggestion that spring will eventually arrive? The Northerly wind suggested otherwise but a great Saturday afternoon on the Ouse with Richard and Andrew was rewarded with Richard extracting a bristling, fat, proper Perch which was rapidly on its way to breaking 3lb barrier.

The final day was spent with a couple of hours in the morning on the Cherwell which resulted in zero, and then a “final day” afternoon on the Thames which Anderoo has already described on an earlier post. It’s always a bit sad when the season ends, but this year it seemed more so – I think despite that persistent cold winter, and actually because of it, I have enjoyed one of my all time favourite seasons ever.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two weeks ago we were privileged to observe a Barn Owl enter the dusky residue and then begin to pare the far bank copse; he, or she, then suddenly turned and flew directly towards my wonderfully warm winter furry hat, passing over my head and towards his original entrance route – keeping dead still I was eyeball to eyeball for a wonderful but fleeting moment with surely one of the most beautiful, and rare, winged hunters. If I ever get that close to a wild Barn Owl again I will consider myself lucky for the second time in my life……

Goosequill makes a good point here. The fact is that fishing along the river brings unexpected rewards. More often than not the rewards come to us because we are aware of the need for stealth and often stand or sit perfectly still. So far as the barn owl is concerned I have been lucky enough to see a good number of them but never take them for granted. The same goes for the kingfisher often seen perching on the rod or even a mink when it is boldly feeding from your bait bag! These are humbling experiences that I feel honoured to enjoy and shall miss in the next few weeks.

Completely agree with weirwolf, those humbling encounters are half the reason I go fishing. I was lucky enough to see 2 Barn Owls on Sunday, one at dawn and one at dusk!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Nice writing Goosequill :)

I've been lucky enough to see close up kingfishers stalking and hunting prey...TBH on the Avon where I fish they seem to be everywhere these days which is nice.

My thoughts now are turning to gravelly runs & barbel but that all seems a long way off

Nice writing Goosequill :)

I've been lucky enough to see close up kingfishers stalking and hunting prey...TBH on the Avon where I fish they seem to be everywhere these days which is nice.

My thoughts now are turning to gravelly runs & barbel but that all seems a long way off

I see a lot of Kingfishers and Herons - whether they are increasing I do not know as I have not lived in Oxfordshire long enough, but any glimpse of them is most welcome and can only show that there is an adequate food source for them. Those little Kingfisher chaps must use up so much energy to catch a little minnow or bleak! I have also seen a Kingfisher (unsucessfully) stalk and hunt on the Cherwell.

Gravelly runs and Barbel.....does all seem a long way off but it will soon be that time again!!!

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Gravelly runs and Barbel.....does all seem a long way off but it will soon be that time again!!!

Like this perhaps?

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

I've only caught two barbel so any chance I get to post a pic I take :)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Like this perhaps?

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

I've only caught two barbel so any chance I get to post a pic I take :)

Stunning! Love those Rusty, thanks.

Visit My Galleries