Budget rod-pods ?

Mat Hillman

The venue I have in mind for my spring Tenching has rock hard banks, I've tried several types of banksticks there with not much success :angry:

So reluctantly I guess I need to buy me one of those rod-pod contraptions!

Can any one suggest a decent 2 rod pod that is reasonably stable and not going to consume my entire new tackle budget for the year?

I can see some very cheap unbranded ones on ebay item number 350328091085 for instance - anyone tried them?

TIA

Mat

Mat

The venue I have in mind for my spring Tenching has rock hard banks, I've tried several types of banksticks there with not much success :angry:

So reluctantly I guess I need to buy me one of those rod-pod contraptions!

Can any one suggest a decent 2 rod pod that is reasonably stable and not going to consume my entire new tackle budget for the year?

I can see some very cheap unbranded ones on ebay item number 350328091085 for instance - anyone tried them?

TIA

Mat

Matt, The goal post design is far better than the lightweight cheapies as advertised widely for around £20 by the likes of Chapman's or Bennetts. These lack stability and as a resuult, I used to have to anchor these using either tent pegs attached by bungie cords, or tying them to rocks.

Typical of what I mean, is Fox A- Pod is not as good as the Fox Quatro - the difference is about £100 - and the extra money is worth it.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Gardner black shadow or the panther models are great. The panther is about 120 notes and the black shadow is about 100 notes. I got the panther and it seems as solid as they come and pretty strong compared to all the others i've seen including the likes of stainless solar pods etc.

I didn't want to buy one but it's inevitable that you'll need one sooner or later if you do enough fishing.

If when you say budget your talking £20 -30 then all the ones I've seen are very flimsy. Have you tried the bank sticks with a screw thread on the bottom? I've used these even on rock strewn banks.

I could probably stretch to about £50, but would be very reluctant to spend more than on an item of tackle that probably going to see a dozen uses a year!

I've not tried screw thread banksticks, but my brolly has a screw-in pole and that won't go in these banks either :)

Mat

Mat

I could probably stretch to about £50, but would be very reluctant to spend more than on an item of tackle that probably going to see a dozen uses a year!

I've not tried screw thread banksticks, but my brolly has a screw-in pole and that won't go in these banks either :)

Mat

Matt, tat being the case, the budgetpod with rubber mudfeet (4 cost about £10 from WMAC.CO.UK), and achorage such as I suggested will do. If you are worried about the aesthetics of it, blindness is also a prerequisite!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I'm really finding it hard to believe that I need to spend £100+ on something just to keep my rods off the ground!!

There must be something out there that will do the job at a sensible price ???

Mat

Mat

I have the Fox A-Pod Mat bought for exactly the same reasons.

It’s proved perfectly adequate for the occasional use that it gets, it’s not as adjustable as some of the posh models so I’m just more careful about positioning it. It was used with a couple of old’ish heavy 2 ¾lb TC carp rods and is stable enough when supporting just one rod.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm really finding it hard to believe that I need to spend £100+ on something just to keep my rods off the ground!!

There must be something out there that will do the job at a sensible price ???

Mat

The problem you have is that if you are using multiple rods and you get a screaming take, all your kit could end up in the lake! the cheap pods are too high awith no enough width and are therefore quite unstable!

You could make your own from some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fishing-Tackle-Adjus...4c289a2ffea28e8

Two at the front under a goal post buzz bar and one at the back would probably work!

Rich

The problem you have is that if you are using multiple rods and you get a screaming take, all your kit could end up in the lake! the cheap pods are too high awith no enough width and are therefore quite unstable!

You could make your own from some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fishing-Tackle-Adjus...4c289a2ffea28e8

Two at the front under a goal post buzz bar and one at the back would probably work!

Rich

Actually this one might be just the job:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Deluxe-ROD-POD-L...=item1e5ae7bbd2

Rich