Hooking lobworms?

jaypeegolf

Yes, that's the main method I use.

Ah I see, I'd assumed that you'd be ledgering. So the float going is the initial bite indication and then the rod bending round signifies Perch hooked or do you ignore the float and just use it for presentation?.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guest bbamboo
Have you ever tried circle hooks when float fishing for Perch Leon?

Hi Rusty

Are you getting my PMs

Gary

Ah I see, I'd assumed that you'd be ledgering. So the float going is the initial bite indication and then the rod bending round signifies Perch hooked or do you ignore the float and just use it for presentation?.

Float aids presentation (eg River: working it downstream and into the snaggy area :)Stillwater: to find the depth where the perch are feeding and keep in contact as they move up in the water as the light fades etc).

Float starts bobbing and moving off, get excited, take up slack and WAIT for the fish to pull the tip around, wind into the fish.

(If the fish is moving towards you, keep taking up the slack and move the rod over to the left (or right), you'll feel when the fish is hooked).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I also use barbed hooks for perch, after reading Steve's posts on here about the possible problems with barbless. That in itself helps to keep the worm on, but I usually add a red maggot too just in case.

Nipping the tail off a big lob helps to stop it wriggling off.

I often break a big lob in two and hook both broken ends. This gives a large, attractive bait that will never wriggle off. It will stop wriggling sooner than a whole worm though, so you tend to get through a few more during a session!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I hook my lobs once through the very tip of the head - and if fishing slow moving water like a canal will have no weight anywhere near the bait - watch the bait slowly sink and wriggle like mad and you can see why I often get bites on the drop. Also twitching the bait gives a very natural look to the worm. I don't miss many bites - and any I do miss I can usually put down to small fish - a big perch will wolf the lot in one go!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

It's funny no one hooks worms on in the same manner as sea anglers hook on their rag worms etc, threading the worm through the middle of it's nose so the hook goes through it's body and the worm goes up the line and you can push the point of the hook through the worm at the spot you wish. It's always puzzled me why this method isn't used in fresh water.

Use of bigger hooks? For a lobworm sized bait I might use a 2/0 in the sea but only a #6 in freshwater. Also, a lugworm hooked once through the head and hurled 150 yards out will probably not leave much on the hook!

Use of bigger hooks? For a lobworm sized bait I might use a 2/0 in the sea but only a #6 in freshwater. Also, a lugworm hooked once through the head and hurled 150 yards out will probably not leave much on the hook!

Yeah but earth worms arn't as big as rag or lug so it should be possible to practice the same method with slightly larger freshwater hooks than, "I would use anyhow", say from 10's to 6's. As I say it's just a thought and I reckon it's gott'a be worth a try.