Pond thieves

Peter M

Well done to my local paper the Harlow Star who had on their front page an article about east European’s poaching at night and taking away fish. 10 people were arrested last month and a bag of dead fish was found. The police are involved as are the EA. The EA said it is the responsibility of the Angling club to make sure the rules are clearly sign posted they go on to say “ ….. not only in English but in a couple of European languages as well”. To be honest I don’t think these people are ignorant of the rules otherwise why fish at night. Also there are lots of East European languages so how does the club which ones to use?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter M:

The EA said it is the responsibility of the Angling club to make sure the rules are clearly sign posted they go on to say “ ….. not only in English but in a couple of European languages as well”.

What a stupid thing to say. It is not even remotely the responsibility of the club, it is the responsibility of the thieves to understand and obey the laws of the country they live in. It's understandable that they might not understand the cultural implications, but this isn't a matter of whether it's appropriate to eat carp, it's simple theft.

I really don't like the attempts in the media to stir up discontent around immigration with scare stories (I think of the way that 14th century Europe blamed the plague on jews poisoning the wells) but this kind of thing is really not doing community relations any good.

Try phoning the EA and requesting a full copy of the angling bye-laws for your region in Serbian - see how far you get.

Studid advice frome someone desperatly trying to be PC.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It was the police officer who said.

"Essex Police wildlife and nature crime officer PC Rob Hance told the Star: "From what the findings are it is predominantly eastern European people that are fishing the pond.

"Though it is not a personal finding of mine, they are believed to be eating the fish. We don't fish to eat but it would appear in some cultures that is what they do."

Mr Hance said it was a national problem. "It is the anglers' responsibility to find out about the laws and the responsibility of the club to ensure there is proper signage on the law , not just in English but a couple of European languages as well."

The EA never said it.

John Cayless

www.anglingconcepts.co.uk/

Team SPRO/Cralusso

Have a similar problem in Ireland. Lots of eastern europeans fishing and taking their catch with home. Have seen some fishing five and six rods. As I understand it they eat the fish (Pike, Pearch, Rudd etc).

We eat trout and salmon ????.

Edd.

yeah i heard the euros hav pritty much cleaned island out of pike! that was my dream to fish over ther for em as a kid! huge unexplored water and a possiblity at a truly big old lady croc like it was my personel mecca!

now im better off fishing on my doorstep down on the south coast! as anywere in island with biggys is well and truly hush hush! due to euros coming over and sending them back!

im all for controlled imagration and a bit of a lefty as far as that gose i think its good that we ar multicultural and that is wot puts the great into britain! but control is needed and they hav to play by ar rules! if they dont then send them back to ther war torn sh*t hole of a country!

NO MATE IT WASNT A POP AT YOU THO SOME THINGS AR LOST IN TEXT! i say live and let live aslong as it dosnt mess around with our idea of live and let live! tho we need to pull into line or we ar gana get mugged over, like the once glorious fishing in island! its just a thought! but suppose as far as imagration gose the last thing the skuffers ar worried about is a few nicked carp!