River Piking

danny29

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

River Piking is my favorite. The Pike just seem so more ready to take a bait. As a quick rule of thumb I generally fish Weirpools early season IE Oct - Nov although they often have resident fish and are always worth a look my experience is that they become less productive as winter progresses? If however there is a back water or dead arm near by this can often be where the fish end up especially if there is slack water there and even more so if the river is carrying a little extra water after rain? The absolute best time to be on a river in my experience is just as it starts to fine down after a decent bit of rain and associated flood. As the colour starts to drop out and slacks begin to form again is a golden time to fish!

I don't know if this is general but I find that it pays to fish the faster waters on the ebb and the slacker waters on the flood.

There are, I think, two types of pike, those that roam, and those that don't. During the close season try and locate the backwaters where the pike spawn. Fair bet that one or two of the bigger fish will remain in the river close to that area pretty much all the year round, certainly up to late October, mid November. They might move away, especially if angling pressure becomes excessive, but will probably start to return during January. You really need to find the pike during the close season and then learn, and follow their annual movements, and that means getting a boat! Also, it pays to locate the migration/patrol routes of other fish. Up on the Broads its a case of find the bream, and the bigger pike won't be far away. To succeed at river piking you need to go to the pike, to be a hunter. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
River Piking is my favorite. The Pike just seem so more ready to take a bait. As a quick rule of thumb I generally fish Weirpools early season IE Oct - Nov although they often have resident fish and are always worth a look my experience is that they become less productive as winter progresses? If however there is a back water or dead arm near by this can often be where the fish end up especially if there is slack water there and even more so if the river is carrying a little extra water after rain? The absolute best time to be on a river in my experience is just as it starts to fine down after a decent bit of rain and associated flood. As the colour starts to drop out and slacks begin to form again is a golden time to fish!

Absolutely spot on there.

Just read another thread, and of coures he should be.

Edited by Nugg

Hi Danny its a great time of year to be on the rivers Piking. Put together a small piece on this subject for a group of friends over on the LPAA site.Cant give a link to it as Im still having some problems with my PC.Will get my brother to post a link to it for you tomorrow evening.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Budgie, I'm sure we'd all be interested to read it, thanks.

While we're on the subject, roving with deads thrown into likely holes, how long in each spot?

Lives seem to get a quicker response than deads but when Im leap frogging with multiple rods (my favourite tactic on rivers) I move a rod every 15mins maximum! I often use four and fish alternate dead ,live,dead,live etc.This gives the bait an hour max in any one position. If using lesser amounts of rods or even just one I would be happy to move a static bait after 30mins presumming that if a feeding fish were present it would have taken the bait be it live or dead.

For the ultimate in roving I favour the wobbled deadbait. Lots of water can be covered like this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!