Cheap Supermarket glugs & additives.

Dales

Like others I have noticed the cost of my fishing going up and up. The cost of bait, petrol etc has started to make a real dent in my pocket.

I have no control over the cost of petrol but I can influence how much gets spent on bait. I think we all know the cheap baits we can use bread and corn etc. However I think I spend far to much money on glugs and additives for my ground bait.

I do not want to cut down on using good quality hook baits, boilies, pellets etc as if you have paid all that money for tickets and petrol to go fishing using low quality hook baits would not make sense.

However I plan to try to make savings on ground bait and additives and have been using cheap pound shop fish meal groundbait and bread crumb spiced up with crushed boilie and pellet from my over stocked supplies. At some point these will run out and I don't want to go back to using expensive bags of groundbait.

So I thought it might be interesting to try to start a thread around cheap supermarket food stuffs people use or plan to try to spice up there fishing bait.

Well to try to kick start the thread, here are 2 of mine.

Bovril as a glug for pellets & boilies.

Angel Delight for groundbait

While in ASDA the other night I noticed they had their own brand angel delight dessert at 7p a packet. So bought 10 but have not tried it out yet.

We could also use this thread to post any information on supermarket special offers people come across. i.e bulk packs of sweet corn, cheap multi-packs of peperami, luncheon meat on discount you know the stuff.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have found the strawberry and vanilla essence have made a massive impact when used in my bream mixes. Well worth a try. Was only very cheap from asda and gives a nice kick to your groundbait. It also finds its way into the water very easily and disperses quickly as mix breaks up.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

20kg of bird food = £8

20kg of brown crumb = £12 - £15ish or 20kg of vitalin for the samish price

So for £25 - £30 you can get a very good ground bait mix and 40kg should last you a good while. To the above mix add some pellets / boilies and you have got an even better ground bait for very little.

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

If you go to a good animal feed store and buy hemp you can cook it up yourself and this saves a huge amount of money. Another good additive is chilli paste and garlic paste from a supermarket, which can be added to hemp and maggots to good effect.

Get the local corner shop to save all their out of date bread for you...regardless of the variety. Blitz it in the blender, whack it a basin and sit it on the vents at the back of your telly. It's just warm enough to dry it out without sweating.

I wrote this on another forum a wee while back.

"I had been trying Dynamite Strawberry aditive for the tench but the smell seemed very familiar to me and being a chef, I thought I could have a good crack at replicating the stuff.

Well lads the stuff I made was indistinguishable by any of my mates. Only one knew it wasn't right because the colour was darker.

1:Get a pan of water on the stove and add sugar until you have a thin syrup. Bear in mind it will thicken slightly when it cools so you just want a noticeable viscosity OK.

2: When you have your syrup, add as much strawberry essence or even cordial as you want. Taste as you go. Bear in mind it's not for you to drink so you want it quite strong.

3: Once you have the consistency and the flavour right, then add red food colouring until it's a deep red.

Allow to cool and then bottle.

BTW, I added the last of of Dynamite Strawberry and half a bottle of Dynamite Scopex to my mixture to get the Betaine and Scopex into the mixture but I don't think it was required.

*that has since proved to make no difference

There you go.....fruit flavoured additive.

By the way, it's so colourful, it even turns plain brown/white groundbait a nice red colour.

I refilled my 2 empty Dynamite bottles and I still have a huge coffee jar full of the stuff.

It's lovely stuff. Half of one of the Dynamite bottles (with My version) was enough to make all my day's ground-mix lovely and red and sticky. Perfect for method feeders.

I tell you what. At £2.75 for a bottle of Dynamite, I won't be going back when I can make pints of the stuff for next to nothing.

The proof's in the pudding...

AndyWith4lbTench04.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...