Should I Stick To What I know?

mant01

Ive been playing around with idea of trying pole fishing but since Ive already got loads of rods and gear dont know whether it would be worth it money wise. What do you think? is it worth giving it a go or since Im already kitted out in other areas just to stick to what Im doing with normal course stuff. Also I have no clue how to set up a pole and what Id need, is it difficult to do? can you only float fish with a pole? I have no idea!

Ive been playing around with idea of trying pole fishing but since Ive already got loads of rods and gear dont know whether it would be worth it money wise. What do you think? is it worth giving it a go or since Im already kitted out in other areas just to stick to what Im doing with normal course stuff. Also I have no clue how to set up a pole and what Id need, is it difficult to do? can you only float fish with a pole? I have no idea!

Hi Mant01

I too was like yourself,rods reels etc.. never dreamt of a pole, no need to see, until one day i joined a club that has regular matches. I would say most of the matches are won by pole where I fish. I wouldnt say they have a definite advantage over rods but accuracy of depth/positioning over feed thats deposited is very good. Short distance or as long as your pole will go or you are comfortable to use. Maybe try an inexpensive margin pole say 8metre, you can use it short 2-3 mtr in margin with paste/pellet or maggots for bream/roach/carp. It is a great way to catch

However, remember its not just the pole, its the elastics/bungs/pole rollers etc.....etc and a whole host of other paraphenalia you need to be a serious pole fisher. Thats why I'm an amateur but seriously its good fun.

Stretched elastics B) (as opposed to tight lines)

Klaus

This depends on where you want to go with your interest in angling because each stlye has its joys and restrictions. I had loads of fun using a very cheap pole which was much heavier and more saggy than those available now. Depending on budget you could either try a really cheap one to find out what it is all about and if you like it then the next one will be more expensive and much more enjoyable to use. They are simplicity itself and give a definite edge on presentation and therefore in theory more fish on the bank. In the 3 years I used mine I banked everything from pairs of eyes to carp in the low 20's and had a lot of fun with it. In the end I just got bored and needed more of a challenge!Go for it, most tackle shops will be able to help choose and thread elastic and show how rigs are connected. The pole can be used with a float or special feeders and can even be used on some rivers with special floats that hold in the current

I bought an inexpensive Leeda pole and few years ago and whilst i don't use it for the majority of my fishing , it's excellent when i want to wet a line for a couple of hours . Ready made rigs ( or ones you prepare yourself ) connect 'em up and you're ready to go. I've had carp up to 8lb on it and it was brilliant. Mind you , the best fight i had was from a 4lb tench neatly hooked in the root of the tail fin. Had me running up and doen the Royal Military canal when the elastic started to get rather stretched.

The other advantage is that i will be taking my nephews fishing for the first time this year and the pole is a really good way to introduce people to fishing without having the complications of learning to use a reel.

I started using a pole but I still much prefer to use a rod and reel. I'm not too sure that I've gained much except a couple of bagging sessions for Orfe, which I'm fairly certain require that degree of finesse to bring any numbers of them to the bank. I wouldn't bother with a pole unless you really have an itch that needs scratching. If you're happy doing what you're doing and you're happy with the results, stick to what you know.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I think Andy is right stick to what you know if you enjoy it, unless you have a burning desire to try the pole in which case give it ago.

Catching fish is not the be all and end all of angling. Just been out and about or taking pleasure in the act or art of fishing is also part of the attraction of angling. I have never tried pole fishing and have no wish to. It's not that I think it's a bad method. But I enjoy casting, reeling in and all the things that go with using a rod. I know my catches on some waters would be better with a pole, but who cares I get enjoyment from fishing with a rod and so stick to it.

So if you are happy with rod and line, why change?

Only you know if you fancy giving the pole a go, but I would not change to it just to catch more fish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Depends where you like to fish and for what.

I started pole fishing about 18 months ago and it is now my preferred method.

I like the precision I get when feeding and placing a bait.

Having said that it is not always the best method so I will use any appropriate method on the day. I have been known though to persevere with the pole when other methods would have been more effective.

Regarding kit, as with many things, if you buy the cheapest you can get you will almost certainly regret it. It will be unpleasant, unbalanced and heavy, and will probably put you off pole fishing for life. A used decent pole won't cost much more, will be much nicer to use and if you really don't like it you will probably get back what you paid. Get one with a couple of spare top twos if possible. There is also a good chance that the pole will be elasticated and ready to use.

You can buy ready made rigs or make your own easily enough. Lots of info on the net.

You don't need a roller straight away, I used my rucksack for quite a while, and still do if I don't want to carry too much. When and if you do get a roller, get a good second hand large one rather than a small cheapy.

If you do try it don't do what I did for my first time and try it on a windy day. Choose a nice calm day at a venue where there are plenty of fish so that you can practice your technique.

Have fun

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'd probably only use mine now for a match or trying to catch large particularly fussy shoaling species and that's about it. It's not the kind of thing I'd use to often for leisure fishing because it ain't that leisurely. I'm more of a specimen angler. I'd still rather catch one big fish than zillions of tiddlers.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...