What is so good about a Centre Pin Reel?

Dales

Hi guys

I got introduced to the centre pin last season, and i adore it! I learnt to use it whilst also learning to Wallis cast. I have caught most of my barbel and chub with the centre pin trotting a line.

Like a few people say, you either love it or you don't....I DO :P

This fish was caught on the pin.

If you live up north there is an open day on the river ribble tomorrow and there is someone demonstarting how to use the centre pin, go along it's a fantastic day!

post-11833-1275759488_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you live up north there is an open day on the river ribble tomorrow and there is someone demonstarting how to use the centre pin, go along it's a fantastic day!

Yep that will be Alan Roe that the Prince Albert show (Ribchester)( start 9.30 am i think). Hope to we see you there wendywoo.

Nice chub. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Oh Gawd and there was me keeping it quiet this year! :D :D :D

Oi Wendy get yer backside into gear and get yer membership sorted we have a new season coming up and there are barbel to be caught!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Oh Gawd and there was me keeping it quiet this year!

Well you did a bloody good job Alan! I only got back last Saturday after a month's holiday on the canals and didn't have a clue that the PAAS event was this weekend...I knew it was soon, but I hadn't had time to check. Martin usually lets me know in plenty of time, but not this year. I will castigate him soundly when I see him again!

Despite a frantic phone call to wake my fishing buddy up after reading this thread, there's no way I can make it at such short notice. Unfortunately I don't drive, so I have to rely on other folk for transport to anywhere that isn't on a bus route....

For anyone who's thinking of going, it's usually a fabulous day out with the added chance of a bargain. I came away from it last year with a great set of brand new Ron Thompson padded waterproof bib 'n' brace and jacket from the "Bring and Buy" stand which has served me well through the winter and our recent boating trip for the princely sum of just £15.00. The previous year I bought a lovely hardback book on fly fishing and had it beautifully illustrated and autographed by the author, Charles Jardine, after he'd completed his fantastic fly fishing demonstration. I do hope he's not going to be there this year. If he is, I'll be even more p**d off at having to miss it! He is one of the most entertaining and inspirational anglers that I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

I also won a rather nice Abu Suveran feeder rod in the raffle, which I'm ashamed to say is still languishing in its bag....

To conclude...I hope it rains and you all have a miserable time! If however, the weather is as good as it's forecast, then you'll have a fabulous day out. Just don't post on here and tell me how good it was or I may need to kill someone...

Janet

Edited by Janet

I use a large fixed-spool reel on my long beachcaster.

I use multipliers on my 13 ft beach-casters.

I mostly use multipliers on my boat rods.

I use a fixed-spool on my light lure-fishing rod.

I use small multipliers loaded with braid on my other lure and jerk-bait rods.

I use fixed spool-reels when dead-baiting.

I use fixed-spool reels on my avons and feeder rods.

I use fixed-spool reels on my float rods, whenever distance casting is needed.

I use centrepins for trotting down rivers, or fishing close in for mullet (when rapid changes of control are needed without fiddling around with the drag).

I use centrepins for fun when fishing the margins (an 8lb+ carp was fun yesterday).

But I generally enjoy fishing flowing water with a centrepin most. :)

Oh! and spinning a 'pin in my hand gives me something satisfying to do when sitting at home watching telly.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I use a Mordex Merlin and an Allcock's "The Lough" sea-trout rod for bream and similar species in the sea.

I use an Alvey 'pin for bigger species.

I use an Alcock's "Commodore" 'pin for even bigger species (not much joy yet though)

I use centrepins for all of my fly fishing!

I use 'pins for ledgering, feeder and float fishing in freshwater.

I even spin with a 'pin sometimes, salt and freshwater

I also use multipliers and fixed spools of course but, 'pins can be used for just about anything :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Is it the engineering and craft in making the reel that appeals and wins admiration? YES

Are you just old fuddy duddies who like using old out of date style tackle? (Maybe I should not have typed that) YES

Or is it just simply the best tool for the job and you are using the best tackle available for a fishing situation. YES (though we are so obsessive that some of us would use one when it's not the best tool).

Can the PIN Heads please give me a head start before you hunt me down for questioning the cult of PIN :DYES

Your days are numbered now!

Er, all of the above really. I do a lot of fly fishing and it is more natural feel for me to use a pin as it resembles the fly reel. I also prefer rivers, simple methods, and traditionalism. A sort of getting away from it all feel that I just don't get when I use modern tackle and methods. I also prefer to fish small rivers, and the pin lends itself to this so well.

They are great tools for trotting and freelining - and so satisfying when they work well. Great also for playing fish on - if you've not tried it I suggest you do if only for these two reasons alone.

Other than that I can't really explain it. It's just an obsession thing I suppose, some have carp, some trout, some tench. Others like to have all the modern gear and rigs. I like to have a simple set up with an old, or olde (sic) style of reel.

I can see that you are not entirely sold? :D

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I can see that you are not entirely sold? :D

I don't know, maybe later in the year when my fishing funds have recovered from a few recent expensive purchases a PIN may be on the shopping list. I have not done any Chub fishing for years and a new toy could be the thing to get me out in the Autumn for a few sessions.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I don't know, maybe later in the year when my fishing funds have recovered from a few recent expensive purchases a PIN may be on the shopping list. I have not done any Chub fishing for years and a new toy could be the thing to get me out in the Autumn for a few sessions.

Unless you have a lot of time and money DO NOT BUY A 'PIN

As you are probably very well aware by now, they are addictive. Once a trotting session for chub with a 'pin has been made there will be no hope......you will be hooked!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!