Completely new to spinning - need help choosing an outfit

Christy

First I would like to apologise if this is the wrong section, I wasn't entirely sure where to post my question as it's to do with lure fishing for sea and freshwater species.

Bassically I've recently found myself attracted more and more to the prospect of using a lure, it's something I've never tried before and I've read in many places that it's simply the most exhilerating form of fishing there is.

I essentially want an fixed-spool spinning outfit - I've never even touched a multiplier before - that is suitable for using, spinners, soft-lures and hard-lures to catch the following species: Trout, Salmon, Zander, Pike and Sea Bass. Preferably one that is quite portable as I will be in my mum's tiny kia or on public transport when visiting venues.

I bassically want the whole outfit, including: rod, reel, line (I hear braid's best for spinning right?,) and a say 5 different lures to get me started, for < £100.

Is this possible? Or am I crazy? :P

PS: I don't mind compromising if I have to! B)

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I would like to apologise if this is the wrong section, I wasn't entirely sure where to post my question as it's to do with lure fishing for sea and freshwater species.

Bassically I've recently found myself attracted more and more to the prospect of using a lure, it's something I've never tried before and I've read in many places that it's simply the most exhilerating form of fishing there is.

I essentially want an fixed-spool spinning outfit - I've never even touched a multiplier before - that is suitable for using, spinners, soft-lures and hard-lures to catch the following species: Trout, Salmon, Zander, Pike and Sea Bass. Preferably one that is quite portable as I will be in my mum's tiny kia or on public transport when visiting venues.

I bassically want the whole outfit, including: rod, reel, line (I hear braid's best for spinning right?,) and a say 5 different lures to get me started, for < £100.

Is this possible? Or am I crazy? :P

PS: I don't mind compromising if I have to! B)

It is more than possible as long as you have got the basics such as net etc already. Just need to get yourself to a tackle shop and get an average spinning rod for around 30quid and a reel for around 30. Then you just need a few spinners, i have been using ondex with great success, and some traces. Possibly some braid also for around 15 quid. Easily done if on a budget. Oh and don't forget the forceps!!!! Essential.

I decided to tackle up for spinning not long ago and got sorted with quality tackle for around 100 pound mark. Harrissportsmail.co.uk is great for this kind of equipment.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It is more than possible as long as you have got the basics such as net etc already. Just need to get yourself to a tackle shop and get an average spinning rod for around 30quid and a reel for around 30. Then you just need a few spinners, i have been using ondex with great success, and some traces. Possibly some braid also for around 15 quid. Easily done if on a budget. Oh and don't forget the forceps!!!! Essential.

I decided to tackle up for spinning not long ago and got sorted with quality tackle for around 100 pound mark. Harrissportsmail.co.uk is great for this kind of equipment.

Oh I should have mentioned I've been coarse and carp fishing for ages so I have all of the other paraphernalia I'll need.

As for Rod what sort of casting weight range will it need in order to be suitable for casting everything from small spinners to medium sized plugs? Also what length rod is best, and are telescopic ones OK? If you could point out any specific rods that would be great! I was also thinking of getting another Shimano Alivio front-drag reel, as the one I use for feeder fishing is great, should I go for a 2500 or 4000 size? Also what strength braid will I need?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Oh I should have mentioned I've been coarse and carp fishing for ages so I have all of the other paraphernalia I'll need.

As for Rod what sort of casting weight range will it need in order to be suitable for casting everything from small spinners to medium sized plugs? Also what length rod is best, and are telescopic ones OK? If you could point out any specific rods that would be great! I was also thinking of getting another Shimano Alivio front-drag reel, as the one I use for feeder fishing is great, should I go for a 2500 or 4000 size? Also what strength braid will I need?

Well at the moment im using 15lb spiderwire camo braid (£24.99) with a Rovex John Wilson pike/lure rod (£40) rated for 10-15braid and a casting weight between 45 and 75 grammes but i use smaller than that a lot of the time. The reel i use is an abu black max low profile baitcaster(£35-£45). The rod is great as it is incredibly light and can be used for deadbaiting as well as spinning etc so you get two rods for the price of one really.

You can find much cheaper reels and rods if this is too much and a 4000 front drag reel would suffice. Just remember to get a light one as you will be using it an awful lot and you do not want to have to keep stopping from sore wrists! The baitcaster are the best option if you want to get used to one. They just make things easier.

A few more rods are here just to give you an idea of what is available. There are many more on that site:

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17227

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17074

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17075#

p.s. to be honest i would steer clear of anything telescopic when it comes to fishing as they are generally not as good or strong as standard put together equipment and are far more prone to having problems and breaking.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

In general the advice from ATScopex is good.

Start with a lightweight fixed spool, a rod rated around 20-60g and some strong braid.

Use strong braid (30 lb plus), not for playing the fish hard (the strength of your rod decides that), but for those occasions when you get snagged and have to handline the snag out, or if the snag is a submerged oaktree or coal-lorry, to straighten out the snagged hook - a new treble is cheaper than a new pike lure.

Get the "feel" of spinning with your medium outfit, and then experiment with lighter (6-20g rod and spincaster reel) and heavier (30-100g and baitcaster reel) outfits. Spinning is VERY addictive.

The light outfit will get you brown trout, perch and chub (I even had a roach last year) and the heavier one is for serious pike, bass, sea trout and salmon.

You will find that line twist is a potential problem, so you need a swivel or two, and an offset weight above them to make sure they DO swivel.

Good luck, and report on here at intervals as to how you get on.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In general the advice from ATScopex is good.

Start with a lightweight fixed spool, a rod rated around 20-60g and some strong braid.

Use strong braid (30 lb plus), not for playing the fish hard (the strength of your rod decides that), but for those occasions when you get snagged and have to handline the snag out, or if the snag is a submerged oaktree or coal-lorry, to straighten out the snagged hook - a new treble is cheaper than a new pike lure.

Get the "feel" of spinning with your medium outfit, and then experiment with lighter (6-20g rod and spincaster reel) and heavier (30-100g and baitcaster reel) outfits. Spinning is VERY addictive.

The light outfit will get you brown trout, perch and chub (I even had a roach last year) and the heavier one is for serious pike, bass, sea trout and salmon.

You will find that line twist is a potential problem, so you need a swivel or two, and an offset weight above them to make sure they DO swivel.

Good luck, and report on here at intervals as to how you get on.

Thanks, I think I'd rather go for a Pike/Sea Bass outfit to get started, Can you reccomend any specific rods?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Might just be me, but i do most of my spinning with a rod of half that rating(7-30g). I like that bit of bouncy flick you get for the lighter spinners.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Might just be me, but i do most of my spinning with a rod of half that rating(7-30g). I like that bit of bouncy flick you get for the lighter spinners.

Yeh, I did say go on to a 6-20g rod later, but this guy is just starting out.

You and I know we both sometimes use spinners of 2g or less

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yeh, I did say go on to a 6-20g rod later, but this guy is just starting out.

You and I know we both sometimes use spinners of 2g or less

Yep that's true, but its more at home (IMO) casting 10-20g stuff about (mainly for trout and salmon in my case) and therefore better suited for "small spinners to medium sized plugs". :)

Can you reccomend any specific rods?

There seems to be loads of nice rods these days, its just a case of deciding what casting weight and length you want and finding one you like the look and feel of.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

There seems to be loads of nice rods these days, its just a case of deciding what casting weight and length you want and finding one you like the look and feel of.

Could you reccomend any specific brands then? I really like my Drennan Method Feeder rod although the spinning reels in the Series 7 range lack cork handles, and I like my cork! :D

I think I'll go for a 20 - 60gm rod. What sort of strength mainline should it be able to handle?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero