catfish

Peter M

I am very angry with my club the Chelmsford Angling Association who have decided to put catfish into one of our lakes. I and others argued against this saying it will be bad for the tench in there and that it will ruin our tench fishing. The commitee said that they were told that there would be no problem as the lake is big enough (17 acres) to cope. what is the enviormental impact of stocking catfish? btw they have now put them in one to 32 pounds.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I am very angry with my club the Chelmsford Angling Association who have decided to put catfish into one of our lakes. I and others argued against this saying it will be bad for the tench in there and that it will ruin our tench fishing. The commitee said that they were told that there would be no problem as the lake is big enough (17 acres) to cope. what is the enviormental impact of stocking catfish? btw they have now put them in one to 32 pounds.

Not as bad as a stocking these monsters in a river - and I am incensed that some have managed to get their way onto the Thames - but I believe that we will rue the day they were first brought to the UK.

I would say that they will eat your tench, and carp, and anyhting else that gets in front of them. If the lake is small - and they need a very big water under natural circumstances -their predation will have a significant impact. 17 acres is sod all for a 32 lb catfish. A good comparison would be the pike - how big do they get in the lake?

There's only one reason to stock them - the members or committee want to catch them. Catfish add nothing else to a fishery in the UK that we don't already have.

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Guess you better find a new club not run by total morons and get some good tench fishing...

Toady definition of a Moron = A person or group of persons who introduce non indigenous species to any part of our water ways / rivers / water systems / lakes / streams and who shows a total disrespect for all other anglers and indigenous fish species.

Plus you can kiss that lake goodbye for any good fishing...Just a thought did they get a license to introduce it?

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The commitee say they worked with the EA and have taken all precautions, but they have not metioned if they did a proper enviromental impact assessment which they must have with the EA involved. To be honest i am more angry with the EA who have allowed this to happen, i thught they were against non native species. its only a few years ago that pike were put in which i agreed with as the lake is a bit over run with small carp and rudd so needed some predation. ALos i like a bith of pike fishing but pike are natural to the UK and it is unlikely they will over predate but the cat fish is different. I am also worried as the lakes lease does not allow night fishing. the club cannot police this and anglers frustrated at the lack of action for the cats will start breaking the rules. the farmer will then not renew the lease. threre are all sorts of ramifications.

take a look at my blog

The commitee say they worked with the EA and have taken all precautions, but they have not metioned if they did a proper enviromental impact assessment which they must have with the EA involved. To be honest i am more angry with the EA who have allowed this to happen, i thught they were against non native species. its only a few years ago that pike were put in which i agreed with as the lake is a bit over run with small carp and rudd so needed some predation. ALos i like a bith of pike fishing but pike are natural to the UK and it is unlikely they will over predate but the cat fish is different. I am also worried as the lakes lease does not allow night fishing. the club cannot police this and anglers frustrated at the lack of action for the cats will start breaking the rules. the farmer will then not renew the lease. threre are all sorts of ramifications.

Committee's in principle are democratic but this just shows what can happen when a few shout the loudest.

Maybe you need to look at the club constitution and insert something in there, e.g. need for a ballot of members when changing fish stocking policies. It would cost nothing as any ballot or vote could be part of an AGM.

The commitee has been planning this behind the scenes for a long time they will have got the right paperwork there are too many of us all over this for them not to. It looks like i will just have to accept it and hope my worst fears are not realised.

take a look at my blog

Don't be angry just let a few Eastern Europeans know there are large catfish in the lake or get catching and take your imitation otter teeth with you...Na, just take a barbecue and catch and eat it along with whoever on the committee proposed it and voted for it...I hear humans taste like pork so score their skin and rub salt in it.

Guess you better find a new club not run by total morons and get some good tench fishing...

Toady definition of a Moron = A person or group of persons who introduce non indigenous species to any part of our water ways / rivers / water systems / lakes / streams and who shows a total disrespect for all other anglers and indigenous fish species.

Plus you can kiss that lake goodbye for any good fishing...Just a thought did they get a license to introduce it?

I find what you said highly offensive mate. It kinda sounds like you were talking about some barbaric tribe. I don't think that's cool but whatever floats your boat.

Catfish is not that bad at all but giving up on catch 'n release might be a good idea.

Tons, (and i really do mean thousands of kilos) of catfish are being culled from the Ebro here. Ive seen photos of refridgerated artic trucks, with them gutted and hung up inside.

They are destined for food use, in Eastern Europe. (i wouldnt, they have a high level of contamination).

Anyone who introduces these fish into a water without permission, is liable to a huge fine, and prison.

Tons, (and i really do mean thousands of kilos) of catfish are being culled from the Ebro here. Ive seen photos of refridgerated artic trucks, with them gutted and hung up inside.

They are destined for food use, in Eastern Europe. (i wouldnt, they have a high level of contamination).

Anyone who introduces these fish into a water without permission, is liable to a huge fine, and prison.

As far as I know people eat them everywhere. You can make a good stew out of them ;) (Along with almost anything edible you can catch...) I think the OP said they had permit to do that... It's kinda sad that they put catfish into lake which was inhabited by other species instead of what you had there before. Well yeah, catfish, they just grow and multiply...