whitby the best?

barry luxton

Good discussion here:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...?topic=15685.60

Cod capital?

Cats over mono hull?

Diversity of fishing?

Anchoring or drifting over the wrecks, better class and diversity of fish?

What makes a good skipper and a great one?

Wildcard appears to be on his own.

:D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an interesting one isnt it. I do often wonder what constitutes a goodfishin trip. Is it the fish or te facilities or a mix of both.

I've had trips where i've caught big fish that i've hated due to the skipper being a total ="$%^* and others where i've caught no fish and had a great time.

Quote:

The only vessel in Whitby able to fish 12 anglers down one side is 'Chieftain' and she is an ex fleet tender and not a purpose built angling boat. The reason JB bought her (he told me) was to 'cancel less trips' She is a displacement vessel capable of 9kn max.

The last state of the art charter angling vessel to enter Whitby (unless I am mistaken) was SJ's Bullet Islander which must be 20 years ago. A nice vessel even now, but no match for a modern cat.

A modern 13m cat with bow thrusters and fluid motion duo props is the current generation. Hooked up to cable laying GPS software, such a boat can keep her SOG motionless. She can position herself over a wreck using autopilot and remain there regardless of the wind/tide. An offset wheelhouse means all anglers fish down one side. Such boats can cruise at 30kn with a top speed in excess of 45kn with relatively low fuel consumption.

Until boats such as these enter Whitby it is obvious to me the question of 'Is Whitby The UK's Number One Charter Port ?? is answered by their absence.

end quote.

Moved wildcards post over as i think it's worthy of comment. :D

Unfortunately J B's life work was unfinished. As we are aware he bought yet another plodder, 8 knot with the intention of putting Whitby on the map with regards to anchoring the wrecks for the most excellant ling and conger that are on the wrecks, however no one has had the forsight to go and get them since. No i not talking about the occasional hooking of a 20lb der. There are biggies off that coast and unfortunatly J B didn't live long enough to show the way forward, bless him.

Don't need one of these all singing dancing cat's Alan. What we have at present is more than ample. You get a good skipper using a 35 footer properly and the fishing is good for all aboard. The rear rail can accomodate ten rods no problem. All lined up while at anchor either on the banks for the blonde ray or over the wrecks for the conger or ling. all the skipper needs to do is to ask the anglers to step back once the rod has been put down. Yes, it's the angler who takes up the room, not the rod. Good fun when half a dozen 50-60lb conger are coming up at any one time, try it sometime. :D

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

John Brennan made enquiries to Swiftline marine to have a very special cat built but it would have been 3 years in the making. We had planned to meet up on his return to the UK for him to test run my swiftcat. If he had, he would probably be my skipper now. ;)

Unlike others I dont look at Whitby (or anywhere else) through rose tinted spectacles. Scarborough council long since abandoned the needs of Whitbys anglers in favour of the tourists pound.

Anglers sometimes spend hours driving there yet there is are no dedicated car parking spaces for them or toilets.

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I was under the impression that John Brennan bought the Achates from Russ Porrit whilst he was still in New Zealand as he was planning to run his own boat as soon as he returned to the UK. He bought the boat prior to his return but sadly never got to fish it

I was under the impression that John Brennan bought the Achates from Russ Porrit whilst he was still in New Zealand as he was planning to run his own boat as soon as he returned to the UK. He bought the boat prior to his return but sadly never got to fish it

I dont know whether JB would have skippered her for me or not, discussions were still in an early stage before he passed away. He was impressed with the video of the boat and the fact she was COP 60. Achates was the love of his life I think, but she needs a mountain of work doing before she is workable.

Alan.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Quote:

The only vessel in Whitby able to fish 12 anglers down one side is 'Chieftain' and she is an ex fleet tender and not a purpose built angling boat. The reason JB bought her (he told me) was to 'cancel less trips' She is a displacement vessel capable of 9kn max.

The last state of the art charter angling vessel to enter Whitby (unless I am mistaken) was SJ's Bullet Islander which must be 20 years ago. A nice vessel even now, but no match for a modern cat.

A modern 13m cat with bow thrusters and fluid motion duo props is the current generation. Hooked up to cable laying GPS software, such a boat can keep her SOG motionless. She can position herself over a wreck using autopilot and remain there regardless of the wind/tide. An offset wheelhouse means all anglers fish down one side. Such boats can cruise at 30kn with a top speed in excess of 45kn with relatively low fuel consumption.

Until boats such as these enter Whitby it is obvious to me the question of 'Is Whitby The UK's Number One Charter Port ?? is answered by their absence.

end quote.

Moved wildcards post over as i think it's worthy of comment. :D

Unfortunately J B's life work was unfinished. As we are aware he bought yet another plodder, 8 knot with the intention of putting Whitby on the map with regards to anchoring the wrecks for the most excellant ling and conger that are on the wrecks, however no one has had the forsight to go and get them since. No i not talking about the occasional hooking of a 20lb der. There are biggies off that coast and unfortunatly J B didn't live long enough to show the way forward, bless him.

Don't need one of these all singing dancing cat's Alan. What we have at present is more than ample. You get a good skipper using a 35 footer properly and the fishing is good for all aboard. The rear rail can accomodate ten rods no problem. All lined up while at anchor either on the banks for the blonde ray or over the wrecks for the conger or ling. all the skipper needs to do is to ask the anglers to step back once the rod has been put down. Yes, it's the angler who takes up the room, not the rod. Good fun when half a dozen 50-60lb conger are coming up at any one time, try it sometime. :D

I havent a cat and i am booked more or less 7 days week my anglers dont all fish down one side its the skill of the whitby skippers that gives it its name as the top anging port to catch fish and being consistant and dont bullshit.

paul.

Edited by glennk