Rod ring life

weirwulf

What would you consider was a fair life for the average rod ring?

I was cleaning my barbel rods and covering the rings in glycerine at the weekend when I noticed that my Greys X Flite rings were completely grooved. This rod has put about 50 barbel on the bank of which some put up a tremendous fight but I consider that a fairly expensive rod should put up with more than that. By comparison my Shimano Beastmaster barbel which has seen more action has only slight grooving in just the tip ring. This rod was only half the price of the Greys rod. Both rods have only had flourocarbon running through them.

Most modern blanks seem quite good and even very cheap ones are quite good to use but you would expect the rings to have a short life so I am not querying them just the ones with a higher price tag.

Before you blame the rings it's worth checking whether it is actually the rings that are grooved because sometimes rings get a coat of varnish that then grooves easily. The actual ring is untouched. Check this with a small bladed knife rotated in the ring. If a layer of varnish lifts then you have found the problem.

Modern Fuji SiC rings never wear out. I've got a set on a Shakespeare Boron match rod that are 25 years old with no wear whatsoever. In the days of chromed rings the true hard chromes were good for about 5 or 6 years (10,000 fish/2500 hours) hard fishing with fine lines, though ordinary soft chromes would hardly last a season.

I think you need to find out what type of rings are fitted if there is a genuine grooving problem.

Even the now superceeded Fuji BNHG rings never wear out! No decent lined ring should but as Mark says check to make sure the lining hasnt got varnish on it.

If the rings are damaged I would be straight on to the makers! if they give you any bull let us ALL know.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The replies are much as I expected and I have to say I was shocked to see grooves. I hoped at first that it was just varnish but I am fairly convinced now the actual guides are grooved. I did email Greys but unfortunately when I opened up the reply it went to one of those dreadful mails we all find in our spam box(not the stuff we fish with!) I shall make a proper effort with the sharp blade as suggested and let you know.

OK I tried the sharp knife and I am now convinced that unless the varnish is really hard I am looking at grooves in the rod rings The attachment is of the tip ring but the butt ring also has some significant grooves too. The intermediates show some lines but not the deep grooves

post-18337-1276535625_thumb.jpg

Although the photo isn't terribly clear, it does look like grooving. It also looks like someone has taken a short cut in ring quality. Perhaps I've been spoilt with top quality rods (I tend to go for match rods) that have the very best rod rings - usually Fuji SiC - that never wear out? If I remember rightly a set of Fujis for a match rod was something like £50 ( I may be wrong) so it is no expense spared on a £300 rod. I've just double checked the tip rings of my match rods; none has any discernable wear.

I'd get the best photo you can and write to Grey's.

OK I tried the sharp knife and I am now convinced that unless the varnish is really hard I am looking at grooves in the rod rings The attachment is of the tip ring but the butt ring also has some significant grooves too. The intermediates show some lines but not the deep grooves

Blimey, I've got 50 year old rods with unlined rings without wear, that's disgraceful. Mono shouldn't wear any modern lined ring.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The rod is 2 seasons use and cost £200. Admittedly it comes with a 1.5 tip,2.0 tip, and a set of 3 quivers but still not at the lower end of the market. The line I use is Fox Illusion and is very abrasion resistant, I wonder if it is a bit too resistant as I noticed my Shimano has slight grooving too! Both rods are supposed to have Fuji. I wonder whether the mud that clings to the line in flood conditions has acted as a grinding paste.

Edited by weirwulf

One of the advantages of building your own rods is that you get to choose the components. Unfortunately the price of the rod is often nothing to do with the value ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/