Which Bait runner?

tradman

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new bait runner reel in the 5000 size. The 2 that are top of my list at the moment are the Shimano 5000b gte and the Okuma epix pro. Shimano had a very good reputation but I have read mixed reviews on the new 5000b gte. I do not know much about the Okuma except it come with a 5 year guarantee. I would apprieciate any views or suggestion etc.

The reel wil be primarily used for Barbel fishing so will need to be strong and reliable as hopefully I will be playing some good fish in strong flows. It should be capable of casting 2 - 4 oz leads alll day. The gears need to be strong and not fall apart.

Thanks.

Tradman.

I've just got a GTE-B, the new shiny one and have given it quite a work out already.

It does the job and line lay is excellent, even with 20lb Fireline. However, it's no where near as smooth as the front drag stradics, the drag is a little sticky and although it's only a minor gripe, the baitrunner lever has already cut little grooves in the main body of the reel. It's fine, I'm happy with it, but if you get one, don't expect superstar performance. Can't help feeling they have sacrificed some functionality for aesthetics.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

'Baitrunner'is a registered trademark of shimano.

Only shimano produce baitrunners.

All others produce freespools!!!!!!!!!

I use an old baitrunner (4050), a 5000 gte and a 6000 gte, never had a problem with any of them.

You could try and pick up a 5000 GTE second hand.

Mine cost 35 quid from jeepster on here!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use a freespool reel in a strong-flowing river? To stop the flow peeling off line wouldn't you need to set the freespool to pretty tight, and doesn't that deter bites?

I'm not knocking the idea by any means (as I've never tried it!), just hoping to learn something useful

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

GlennB:

wouldn't you need to set the freespool to pretty tight, and doesn't that deter bites?

If the three ounce lead on the bolt rig doesn't deter bites it's too late to worry about a bit of drag from the line once the hook is in.

ayjay:

ayjay:

wouldn't you need to set the freespool to pretty tight, and doesn't that deter bites?

If the three ounce lead on the bolt rig doesn't deter bites it's too late to worry about a bit of drag from the line once the hook is in.
Right. So why bother with a freespool reel? Why not use a quivertip and keep your hand on the rod?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

GlennB:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use a freespool reel in a strong-flowing river? To stop the flow peeling off line wouldn't you need to set the freespool to pretty tight, and doesn't that deter bites?

If the current flow exerted a pull of 3 lbs on your particular rig then you'd need to set the freespool tension to 3.01 lbs or more.

In that case (3 lbs current pull and 3.01 lbs tension) the fish would be faced with 0.01 lbs of resistance.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

GlennB:

So why bother with a freespool reel? Why not use a quivertip and keep your hand on the rod?

Dedicated followers of fashion. ??

"So why bother with a freespool reel? Why not use a quivertip and keep your hand on the rod?"

From my experience, there are many river swims where it can be almost impossible to sit right next to your rods. The bait runner type of mechanism allows you to set up in some degree of comfort, yet still get to your rods in plenty of time. If you use two rods there is always a slight chance of a run on one rod while you are playing a fish on the other - in which case, the baitrunner gives you a chance to panic in stages.

By the way, I have complete confidence in the rear drags of my old Shimanos and would never go back to using a front drag reel. I often adjust the clutch while I am playing a fish, which is so much easier with a rear drag.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.