resident fox

barry luxton

I think fox problems in towns and cities have no baring whatsoever on hunting matters as someone who works in hunting I can state that the town fox is quite a different animal to his rural cousin you could remove both from their enviroment and exchange their homes like in a "wifeswap" scenario and both probably wouldn't last a week in the others shoes.

2eb62xv.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned not to put fish-waste into my worm-compost bin at this time of year, somehow the maggot flies manage to populate the bin if I do.

So yesterday, needing to dispose of the guts, frames and head of a couple of good-sized bass, I dug a deep hole in my vegetable plot where late french beans are still to be sown.

This morning it looks like the Somme!

A fox has worked very hard during the night, and made off with its prize, leaving me to fill in the crater it dug.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I think fox problems in towns and cities have no baring whatsoever on hunting matters as someone who works in hunting I can state that the town fox is quite a different animal to his rural cousin you could remove both from their enviroment and exchange their homes like in a "wifeswap" scenario and both probably wouldn't last a week in the others shoes.

there is no fox vs human problem in any area merely hysteria ,the town ones will be gassed the country ones shot or snared as a arm jerk reaction

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

so chickens are wild here then?

chickens get eaten by foxes because humans let them but i was more referring to the alleged attack on those kids and its possible effect on foxes

foxes vs chickens ,sheep or pheasants wouldnt really happen without human historical interference after all so any attacks on them is due to humans .

as you say there is a difference in foxes but nowadays are there places remote enough for foxes never to interact with humans ? only a small % of foxes are only town or only country foxes with a range of approx 15 miles foxes probably have the abilities of both town and country foxes so a "wife" swap probably a regular occurrence :D

a great % of foxes are from Scotland anyway * so both types are interacting as those from foreign lands tend to ;):D

*after ww1 and ww2 foxes were so thin on the ground they were reintroduced by the hunts that reformed after the war was over.the hunts that worked farmers fields went to war so the population got out of hand and a rather more effectual method found of control IE guns wire and poison ,infact the hunts preserved the fox they maybe not so common or even exist at all without the men on horses and possibly disappeared like ospreys and eagles etc did especially in the home counties a couple of centuries before

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've learned not to put fish-waste into my worm-compost bin at this time of year, somehow the maggot flies manage to populate the bin if I do.

So yesterday, needing to dispose of the guts, frames and head of a couple of good-sized bass, I dug a deep hole in my vegetable plot where late french beans are still to be sown.

This morning it looks like the Somme!

A fox has worked very hard during the night, and made off with its prize, leaving me to fill in the crater it dug.

silly billie you dont feed them in your garden :rolleyes: i chuck it into the surrounding field you could with your neighbours garden

i remember planting a 100 yard long hedge with 6" box plants as i was 10 yards from the end i looked round to see my employers dog happily digging them up a few yards behind me to get to the bonemeal under them. :angry:

luckily my employer was just coming to warm me otherwise he may not have believed his precious dog had done it ,half the plants went on the fire they were so battered ,wearing long hair ,a hat and humming happily i didnt hear anything or it may have been the brain fuzziness from the night before s cider drinking probably both.

Edited by chesters1

so chickens are wild here then?

chickens get eaten by foxes because humans let them but i was more referring to the alleged attack on those kids and its possible effect on foxes

foxes vs chickens ,sheep or pheasants wouldnt really happen without human historical interference after all so any attacks on them is due to humans .

as you say there is a difference in foxes but nowadays are there places remote enough for foxes never to interact with humans ? only a small % of foxes are only town or only country foxes with a range of approx 15 miles foxes probably have the abilities of both town and country foxes so a "wife" swap probably a regular occurrence :D

a great % of foxes are from Scotland anyway * so both types are interacting as those from foreign lands tend to ;):D

*after ww1 and ww2 foxes were so thin on the ground they were reintroduced by the hunts that reformed after the war was over.the hunts that worked farmers fields went to war so the population got out of hand and a rather more effectual method found of control IE guns wire and poison ,infact the hunts preserved the fox they maybe not so common or even exist at all without the men on horses and possibly disappeared like ospreys and eagles etc did especially in the home counties a couple of centuries before

They were importing foxes into the UK in the 1700s chester, because the had run out. Some big Estates in Scotland used to rear young foxes and send them down south for the hunt.

The hunt is full of brown smelly sticky stuff chesters. I wouldn't have banned there silly pastime, but I did object to the direct assault on my intelligence some of them made when trying to tell me that hunting a fox with horses and hounds was an 'efficient' method of fox control. Efficient mon cul.

Your also correct about the difference between rural and urban foxes. There is no difference between 'urban' and rural foxes. Young foxes tagged in Bristol have been found living in the Mendips as adults.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

yes the long legged fox is distinctly scottish or highland english ones were shorter legged but i expect theve interbred taking away the obvious difference ,the longer legs are helpful outrunning horses as well so no bad deal for mr fox.

i have nothing against fox hunting as i said i expect there will be far less foxes without hunting than with it ,i agree (and mentioned it in the hunting thread) fox hunting can not be a realistic fox culling method more rather a fox control method where foxes are encouraged to live safely with the penalty that on the occasional wednesday or saturday the slow ,stupid or infirm fox occasionally meet their maker ,does it matter its a bunch of toffs on horses (although thats the minority in a meet) so long as the fox lives undisturbed bar for a few hours every couple of months ,all the time the hunt uses farmers land mr farmer leaves them (the foxes) alone after all without a fox theres no hunt so its swings and roundabouts

i dont live in a town but what i'v seen of town foxes they tend to be more mangy and thin than ones around here ,their not hunted and cars dont distinguish healthy and mangy foxes so mangy foxes flourish which is a pity for town foxes.In the country hunting for your dinners thins out the sick fox the dustbins are less plenty full

townies would be surprised what does live amongst them its almost as packed with animals than the country ,sit in your towny garden just after dark and you will be surprised at what you hear and occasionally see

Edited by chesters1

there is no fox vs human problem in any area merely hysteria ,

Dunno, there is an issue with foxe's verses chickens, your right about hysterics, the neigbour is already upset about loosing one of his pet chickens last week, today he was in the garden enjoying the summer (during daylight)and went into hysterics yet again on the foxes return, result was it only managed a bunch of feathers this time. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

,sit in your towny garden just after dark and you will be surprised at what you hear and occasionally see.
Especially around Imperial Road in Southampton mate ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote