So how id you get on...first day of the season?

Kevin Massey

They really do make a huge difference, you know!

Yes I agree. Polaroids are great. You often need to get higher above the water to see the full difference depending on light conditions but they are worth the money.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree. Polaroids are great. You often need to get higher above the water to see the full difference depending on light conditions but they are worth the money.

Ā 

Any recommendations on makes / places to buy them?? - What kind of cost would I be talking to get some?

Ā 

Cheers,

Ā 

Stooby...

I think those are the same as mine. You can pay less, though...

Ā 

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_14285.htm

Ā 

Just thinking, Anderoo wears specs - so do I, but unless I'm fishing a float or a fly at distance, I don't need them to fish. If I do need corrected vision, I wear contacts + polarising specs. Other options are huge polarising glasses that go over your ordinary specs and make you look like a Florida pensioner, clip-ons or prescription sunglasses.

Edited by Steve Walker

I think those are the same as mine. You can pay less, though...

Ā 

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_14285.htm

Ā 

Just thinking, Anderoo wears specs - so do I, but unless I'm fishing a float or a fly at distance, I don't need them to fish. If I do need corrected vision, I wear contacts + polarising specs. Other options are huge polarising glasses that go over your ordinary specs and make you look like a Florida pensioner, clip-ons or prescription sunglasses.

Lol i also wear specs and played with the idea of getting some of those but if im fishing at that range i just go without the polaroids. Im only 24 so i dont think i could pull off the florida pensioner look just yet :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Went today instead of first day and I'm off to a flyer!

Ā 

First fish on the very first trot = 4lb 1 oz chub!

Ā 

Second fish, 10 minutes later = 5lb 15oz chub wooo-hooo! Almost a PB!

Ā 

Also, almost every species apart fromm barbel despite being connected to one for 10 minutes. Dace, roach, trout, grayling, chub and gudgeon.

Ā 

Full report later off to collect my son from nursery, will download photos and then give you the gen! Woo-Hoo!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Off to a good start myself...Went trotting with maggot on opening day and had a belter of a day - biggest fish a perch of nearly 2 pounds, some smashing grayling to 1.25 pounds, some small chub and shed-loads of dace to respectable size, two trout plus a couple of roach for good measure. Also got the best sun tan this side of the Med'.

Ā 

Out last night to use up the grubs and had another enjoyable mixed session (nowt big) on the stick float from the lower river.

Ā 

I must say guys, I find polaroids next to useless in most of my local rivers due to the heavy peat staining of the water. Looks black mostly, even when low and 'clear'! Oh well...

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

Went today instead of first day and I'm off to a flyer!

Ā 

First fish on the very first trot = 4lb 1 oz chub!

Ā 

Second fish, 10 minutes later = 5lb 15oz chub wooo-hooo! Almost a PB!

Ā 

Also, almost every species apart fromm barbel despite being connected to one for 10 minutes. Dace, roach, trout, grayling, chub and gudgeon.

Ā 

Full report later off to collect my son from nursery, will download photos and then give you the gen! Woo-Hoo!

Ā 

Heres the very first fish of the river season caught on the first trot at 4lb 1oz..

180610401.jpg (not a very good photo).

Ā 

I caught this 10 minutes later....

180610515.jpg (terrible photo).

Ā 

I lost a bigger chub in the reeds and went over my waders trying to stop it kiting into the nearbank! Despite leaning right out and filling my waders it went in and got stuck fast`I got the hook back after 2 minutes of slack line. I need my Harrison delivered!

Ā 

I also had one of these - onloy a tiddler but unusual on our stretch..

Ā 

1806103.jpg

Ā 

Three of these.....

Ā 

1806104.jpg

Ā 

Also about 20 dace, several roach, and 10 gudgeon.

Ā 

I also lost a barbel which I was connected to for over five minutes. It went accross the river twice and then decided to just plod around udner my rod. My arm was aching and I was getting pins and neeedles in my hand, when it decided to go accross the river again - the hook pulled. I had changed to a 16 to get hte best out of the dace fishing. If I'd left that 14 on I would have probably landed it. It looked about 7lb. Oddly it was from the same swim that I caught the last barbel of the year from last November - 7lb. The same fish?

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

It looked about 7lb. Oddly it was from the same swim that I caught the last barbel of the year from last November - 7lb. The same fish?

Ā 

Ā 

Sounds like a pretty active session...well done Mr. Regarding the barb being the same one as last year........you'll have to ask it if you get it ;):D Pity it managed to evade capture. I like using the drennan super spades in 14's as they don't pull easy even if you put on a hell of a lot of pressure. You'll nail it next time !

Sounds like a pretty active session...well done Mr. Regarding the barb being the same one as last year........you'll have to ask it if you get it ;):D Pity it managed to evade capture. I like using the drennan super spades in 14's as they don't pull easy even if you put on a hell of a lot of pressure. You'll nail it next time !

Ā 

Ā 

Drennan super spades it was! I generally use 14's where barbs are expected, mind you, chub can pull hard too. I just dropped down one size as I was missing dace, and I have been after a good dace for a while. It was notable that the chub pulled less hard than they did at the back end of the season.