A returner laments

smiling cat

Since I stopped serious fishing I have not stopped looking around-it seems to be all carp and boilies. Waters that used to be on a club book are now £6 a day to catch carp .

Now carp are fun but what would you prefer? A rudd just short of 3lb or a carp at 10lb?

Maybe I`m seeing the world through the eyes I had in the 70`s?

Since I stopped serious fishing I have not stopped looking around-it seems to be all carp and boilies. Waters that used to be on a club book are now £6 a day to catch carp .

Now carp are fun but what would you prefer? A rudd just short of 3lb or a carp at 10lb?

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison, obviously a close to 3lb rudd!! I better comparison would be between a 14oz rudd or a 10lb carp, or a 3lb carp or a 40lb carp. That makes it abit more difficult or me to decide :-)

Edited by Errrm

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison, obviously a close to 3lb rudd!! I better comparison would be between a 14oz rudd or a 10lb carp, or a 3lb carp or a 40lb carp. That makes it abit more difficult or me to decide :-)

Depends how you read the question. How many waters have been stocked with carp (of any size) and therefore take away the chance of other coarse fish getting to specimen size?

Adding extra stock that compete in the same part of the food chain to a water that has a natural balance can only suppress the fish that are already in it. To make it worse, carp are a strong fast growing species that will out compete other species for the available food and in some waters reduce the available food by muddying the water and destroying plant life.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

What's wrong with that!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I know a lot of waters that hold a large head of carp..................AND....................plenty of quality silver fish as well

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I know a lot of waters that hold a large head of carp..................AND....................plenty of quality silver fish as well

Den

Yep me to Den, but i know a lot more small lakes, lodges and ponds that have been ruined by carp and other species like bream.

Carp are never going to make specimen size in most of these waters especially up here and at the stocking levels they get stocked at. Slowly we are running out of waters that haven't got them in, yet we are still stocking them. To make it even worse we've now protected them even in waters they haven't got to yet.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I prfer a mixed fishery, I also much much prefer it if they'd done some landscaping so its an environment that encourages wildlife. Last holiday I fished one of the morning session in a corner pool and had a blackbird singing in the tree opposite me, not more that 3 yards away. Then a watervole swam out straight in front of me.

Tony

Tinca Tinca kindly lent me some magazines - Waterlog and Big Fish World - from the early 90s, and reading them is like waking up from a bad dream. This was about the time I was hungrily digesting every word in mags like Coarse Fishing Today, and the style of articles, the themes and even the adverts were like old friends! It made me quite nostalgic, and it's hardly a lifetime ago.

I know I go on about magazines a lot but at any point in time they do reflect the current state of angling. I bought Coarse Fisherman the other day (one of a few I still occasionally buy) and the editorial was nothing more than an advert for Dynamine Halibut boilies (because the editor had been sent a load for free), and one of the letters to Julian Cundiff (the 'star' letter I think) was from a kid wanting to know how to get sponsered. Even my hero Tony Miles has gone seriously down in my estimations. In a fairly recent article he listed his top tench baits, one of which was a fruit flavoured pellet thing from Pallatrax that he hadn't even tried yet.

We're going backwards.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sorry, I don't get this.

If there is a style of fishing you don't like then don't do it.

If there are baits that you don't approve of then don't use them.

If you don't like the magazines then don't buy them.

If you are blessed with an abundance of wonderful river fishing then It doesn't really affect you.

In the meantime why not let us poor delusional anglers get on with our enjoyment of our second rate sport.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/