big fish

biggacod

Bugger David Icke, I'd rather go looking for Dracula at Whitby :P

Bream on saturday as well Barry....and ling on sunday...my tackle's packed already!

Yo worms,

This is special invite, soft southern know it all men with 'bling' tackle only need apply.

Do you measure up?

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo worms,

This is special invite, soft southern know it all men with 'bling' tackle only need apply.

Do you measure up?

Alan

Cheers Alan, sounds like fun.

I don't know if I measure up to this soft southern know it all bit though........I'm from the rough, tough, badlands of the Welsh borders (English side of course!).....where wives are women and sheep are dinner :P .

I'm working on the know it all bit but I need a bit more practice yet! I can do bling tackle though!..........and split cane and centrepins.

Reckon I'm tall enough?

Nick.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Time I had my say.

Unfortunately due to a computer glitch I cannot sort out I can only make "Fast Replies" on this forum

On one of JB's last trips on the Chieftain when we had the cooler box full of cod fillet he suggested we had a go at the ling.

His main and most important advise was to fish all the cod off the wreck first.

We then drifted the wreck using cod fillets as bait.

Although loads of ling came on board if I remember correctly the largest was 28lb. :angry:

I had the pleasure and enjoyment of fishing out of Weymouth with Barry and his friends for three days a couple of years ago.

I was helped and I learned a lot. My largest conga was about 38lb but Barry and his friends had several over 50lb.

Some of the conga fishing was done at the night time. Quite an experience. :) :)

We also fished and caught bream, pollack, cod, rays, and turbot, all targeted, and most returned except for a few to eat.

Very pleasant three days fishing :lol: :lol:

I would like to be included in any trips Barry and his friends make out of Whitby or Hartlepool in the future.

In my opinion only :rolleyes: I would suggest that big Cod (Paul) would be the Whitby skipper to contact for anchoring of wrecks, he has a wealth of knowledge in his area.

With my limited experience I do think conga are present in this East Coast and just needs somebody to target and learn how to catch them.

This year because my deep freeze is full of cod fillet (Chieftain 120 hr trip) I have started to target big ling and halibut.

No halibut yet but my first reasonable ling 19lb 8 ounce. won me the first Hartlepool open boat contest this year. :P

I am starting to use giant jig heads with either 10 inch shads on them or live baits up to 1lb 8 ounce. (cod , mackerel, pollack, pouting, whiting etc.)

The jig heads I use are made in Germany, and are 300gms to 500 grams.

I am using them similar to shad fishing.

Would be very interested in rolling them towards a wreck in a high tide at anchor.

Finally the "Big Fish" photos which started this interesting thread are big fish, but and I may be proved wrong I do not think the weights are accurate. ;)

Yo Deene/Barry, I have put an interesting tour schedule together for your proposed visit;

Day 1 - Conger fishing off Whitby.

Day 2 - A trip to 'Wigan Pier'

Day 3 - A search for the 'Lambton Worm'

Day 4 - A talk 'the hidden illuminati' by David Icke.

Day 5 - A hunt for 'the Black Monk' of Gisborough priory.

Day 6 - Chinstrap penguin/Narwal spotting off Hartlepool.

Day 7 - A chance for you clever Southern lads to invest inthe 'ponzi scheme'

Let me know when you want to come over.

Alan

Nice one Wildcard I can assume you took the red pill to have a sense of humour that good and there I was thinking you didn’t care for us southerners. You made I laff so you did!!!!

Still waiting for some one to take up the challenge though ‘Money talks and Bull S**t walks’ so they say

:D

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Time I had my say.

Unfortunately due to a computer glitch I cannot sort out I can only make "Fast Replies" on this forum

On one of JB's last trips on the Chieftain when we had the cooler box full of cod fillet he suggested we had a go at the ling.

His main and most important advise was to fish all the cod off the wreck first.

We then drifted the wreck using cod fillets as bait.

Although loads of ling came on board if I remember correctly the largest was 28lb. :angry:

I had the pleasure and enjoyment of fishing out of Weymouth with Barry and his friends for three days a couple of years ago.

I was helped and I learned a lot. My largest conga was about 38lb but Barry and his friends had several over 50lb.

Some of the conga fishing was done at the night time. Quite an experience. :) :)

We also fished and caught bream, pollack, cod, rays, and turbot, all targeted, and most returned except for a few to eat.

Very pleasant three days fishing :lol: :lol:

I would like to be included in any trips Barry and his friends make out of Whitby or Hartlepool in the future.

In my opinion only :rolleyes: I would suggest that big Cod (Paul) would be the Whitby skipper to contact for anchoring of wrecks, he has a wealth of knowledge in his area.

With my limited experience I do think conga are present in this East Coast and just needs somebody to target and learn how to catch them.

This year because my deep freeze is full of cod fillet (Chieftain 120 hr trip) I have started to target big ling and halibut.

No halibut yet but my first reasonable ling 19lb 8 ounce. won me the first Hartlepool open boat contest this year. :P

I am starting to use giant jig heads with either 10 inch shads on them or live baits up to 1lb 8 ounce. (cod , mackerel, pollack, pouting, whiting etc.)

The jig heads I use are made in Germany, and are 300gms to 500 grams.

I am using them similar to shad fishing.

Would be very interested in rolling them towards a wreck in a high tide at anchor.

Finally the "Big Fish" photos which started this interesting thread are big fish, but and I may be proved wrong I do not think the weights are accurate. ;)

Ivan, if ever you feel the urge for the same, you would be more than welcome, just say the word. Paul, the psychopatic comedian skipper hasn't changed one bit, so definatly a pleasent way to spend a few days. Gonna do some more of it in september, october within the same marks so i can't wait for that, you can remind us how to get the prawns again.

Again i have to ask the question, obviously J B didn't anchor the wreck for the ling at all? As i have said previous we have for both the flood and the ebb. I have heard about removing the cod first, however down south the are numerous wrecks that are classed as ling wrecks, i.e. if you fish them, that is what you will expect to catch, do you not have the same with you?

Have you tried a short trace and bumped the shad or side winder over the ground yet (rock hopping)? As we are all aware, that is where the cod live on the ground and if i was to target cod in particular that is the method i like using as opposed to winding up with the shad.

regards to you Ivan.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Nick, it was a bit of a loaded question I asked you :D

Once in parliament an mp asked another mp 'does the right honourable member still beat his wife?'- :lol:

Of course he couldn't answer either yes or no.

Hello Ivan, thought you had been quiet on this forum recently - nice to see you have arrived. I will call you tomorrow about the next trip.

Barry - DeenO, I used to fish the Hartlepool ling grounds that Gary (biggacod) mentioned earlier in this thread. One thing I noticed when fishing for ling is we had to 'clear out' the smaller ones first to get to the bigger ones. The ling ground is (from memory) about 200ft deep and all the juvenile ling came up with their stomach linings blown and had to be killed. Is there a way to target the real big ling without catching the teenagers?

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Bit of a loaded question that Alan :D i can liken that to fishing say a bass schoolie area, leave it alone for the greenies to gloat over giving them something to police, mcz, go fish the ling wrecks at anchor. Lots of nice fresh bait.

Worms, your in mate, two days, got to sort your b&b out or you can sleep in the back of the van. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Worms, your in mate, two days, got to sort your b&b out or you can sleep in the back of the van. :lol:

Cheers Barry, just let me know what types of lures or other terminal tackle I might need as I have to buy online....no sea tackle sold in this area......in fact our local coarse/game tackle shop has just closed down :(

where do you normally stay? I don't know the area at all.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Due to popular demand I have added two additional days to ‘The southern softies tour of Whitby’

Day 8 – The softies will be greeted by Morris Dancers before Bram Stoker takes them on the ‘Dracula tour’. This involves climbing the 199 steps to look for count Dracula in Whitby Abbey. Bram will be on hand to sign copies of his latest book ‘Fangs for the memory’

Day 9 – The softies will be greeted once again by Morris Dancers. Morris will give a sermon on the origins of Luge racing down Skelder bank before signing copies of his new best selling book ‘How to make an omelette from a pigs egg’.

The tour will take place in September so any softies taking part are advised to bring a jumper. ;)

Alan

Mornin, don't need any gear Worms, might get some sidewinders for the second day thats all. will get a box or two of squid after i speak to the skipper next week.

Stay at me other skippers mates b&b in paignton, happy families.

Sure someone will be along later Wildcard to accomodate. :D watch this space.

Edited by barry luxton