Revenge of the Fish - Fish beat me up.

Dales

I have just recently returned from my holidays in Thailand and so could not resist a few days fishing. I caught a few nice fish, well alot actually. So many that I started to get a little complacent with handling them. The first dozen or so Catfish I caught were handled with care and I made sure to watch out for the spikes on the pectoral fins etc.

But as time went on my caution slipped and when holding up a smallish Striped Catfish (Pla Sawai) of around 6/7 Kilos I made a slight boo-boo. I was holding it up for a picture, when it started to struggle and I instantly reacted to craddle the fish Carp style so as not to drop it. Instantly I felt a sharp pain in my forearm and as I lowered my arms down to take a look the fish got lowered down as well, it seemed to be stuck to my forearm. I lifted my arms up so I could take a look over the fishes body and at this point I started to guess what had happened. I must have got a spike or fin caught in my skin. It hurt abit but could not have been to bad. However when I saw the thickness of the spike sticking out of my arm I was just a little bit more concerned. I looked at the Pec or half a Pec sticking out of my arm and then looked at the fishes other Pec. Oh dear it looked like about 2" of spike had gone in to my arm.

So what to do, I was wasting good fishing time and now was starting to feel a little nauseas, do I go for the quick rip the fish off of my arm plaster style or the slow pull the fish out of my arm. I opted for the slow pull, which turned out to the correct choice as when I had pulled it half out, the spike got stuck. A quick look at the other Pec showed the end of the spike/fin was hooked, so I had to twist it around a bit to unhook it from the inside of my forearm. It kept on bleeding for around 6 days, so I guess I should have gone and got a few stitches. I helped replace the fluid loss from all the bleeding by administering plenty of Chang and Singha beer.

I swear the fish had a giant grin on its face when I returned it to the water. But what was very funny was that I caught a big Red Tail about an hour after getting spiked by the Sawai and I was holding the rod in the injured arm, blood was spurting out of my arm like in a cheap horror flick, very funny but bloody painful. I have never felt so bad while playing a fish and thought I was going to pass out, but I held on and was rewarded with catching a new lake record. Oh No that means I have to hold it up for a picture and its going to hurt, well lets say its tail was alot redder when it went back in the water then when it came out covered in all my blood.

Plus to add insult to injury, a few days later when I went fishing again. I got slapped in the chin by a Siamese Carp. My arm was still hurting and playing and holding up fish was an effort. This sneaky Thai Carp sensed my weakness and I was only supporting its tail gently and some how it bent its body in two and smack its tail went in to my jaw, its head end never moved, but from its middle to its tail it bent right around to deliver the blow.

So I kind of got what I deserved from poor handling and learned a very valuable lesson. All ways carry a priest and give them a good bosh before getting any pictures done.

So has any one else had injuries from fish,ever been spiked, slapped, bitten, crushed, head butted.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Lol all i can say is ouch! Ive been slapped by plenty of carp in the past but luckily nothing of the caliber that you endured. I've had a few (very) near misses with pike but you expect that from them. They are just pure badness lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Bloody lucky if that didn't get infected!

With hindsight I should have knocked the fishing on the head and got it checked out by a doctor, but with all the adrenaline and excitement of catching lots of big fish I just did not want to stop. At least I had my partner with me who had a medical kit and so cleaned it up for me on the bank and ensured that it was well cleaned and plastered up for the rest of the holiday. Plus I do keep up to date with my jabs as I do abit of traveling every year and so had a booster tetanus last year while getting some other jabs done.

But on reflection I should have had it looked at and would advice others to do so if something similar happens to them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Does getting `spiked` by my first perch over a pound when I was 12 count?

Does losing a tiddly perch down my cleavage count?

Janet

Those Perch, they are so tricksy and sly. They seduce you with there good looks and proud stance with fins all flared out. Then when your guard is down they go in for the kill :D

But I am wise to the ways of the Perch and have so far avoided any major Perch incidents.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Janet

No it doesn't count; but the mental image provided is so much better than Dales bleeding everywhere. B)

Actually, I think the most pain I had inflicted by a fish was when I was a kid on a family holiday to Majorca. I had very badly burned my forearm - it had come up in one big blister - and when swinging a mullet in, I caught the spiny dorsal fin straight in the blister!

Couple of photos from that holiday:

mullet2.jpg

mullet.jpg

:lol:

Janet

Now,while I can see the advantage of hanging one`s dis gorger around one`s neck-would it not have been a better idea to take it out rather than putting the perch down? Imagine it was an eel-where would it all end?

One post nearer to the glorious 16th-is that rule some kind of Fruedian thing?