Yahoo Search Engine.

chevin

I want to use Google Search Engine, but every time I switch off my browser and then switch back to it, my search engine reverts to Yahoo. I don't like the Yahoo search engine but I jst cannot get rid of it. I have tried suggested ways I have found, but I don't get the same pages as I am told to expect. Can anyone help me please?

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What browser do you use chevin ?

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

What browser do you use chevin ?

Fire Fox I can't even delete Yahoo! :angry:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Chevin look in your ADD ONS (under the TOOLS) tab and it will be there. Simply delete it and restart FF to implement the changes. You must have said to install it as par of adding something? Check all the options is my advice if installing something? I do know CC Cleaner ask to install a toolbar!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

In Firefox, if it's on your tool bar at the top you can just drag it off; right click on the tool bar and select *customise*.

If I want to search for something I just open a new tab and select google from a *bookmarks tool bar*, which runs under the main tool bar.

Like Chris says CrapCleaner, (and a few other things) will install Yahoo unless you tell it not to.

In Firefox, if it's on your tool bar at the top you can just drag it off; right click on the tool bar and select *customise*.

If I want to search for something I just open a new tab and select google from a *bookmarks tool bar*, which runs under the main tool bar.

Like Chris says CrapCleaner, (and a few other things) will install Yahoo unless you tell it not to.

Thanks guys, but whatever I do, Yahoo becomes the default search engine next time I turn on Fire Fox. Something is preventing me from deleting it.

If you tried the above and it is still loading it then the only way I know of to do this is to try a search in Windows and then ALL references to "Yahoo" I would find the folder containing the term and delete it!

But clicking tools/add ons and then disabling or deleting the Yahoo toolbar should get rid? Can you actually see it in the add ons?? If not I can only say it must be being loaded by another programme. In which case when did you notice the toolbar being loaded? See if you can replicate the download by downloading again and see if the the option is offered again perhaps? But certainly not heard of this before?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

If you tried the above and it is still loading it then the only way I know of to do this is to try a search in Windows and then ALL references to "Yahoo" I would find the folder containing the term and delete it!

But clicking tools/add ons and then disabling or deleting the Yahoo toolbar should get rid? Can you actually see it in the add ons?? If not I can only say it must be being loaded by another programme. In which case when did you notice the toolbar being loaded? See if you can replicate the download by downloading again and see if the the option is offered again perhaps? But certainly not heard of this before?

It seems that others have the same problem, and I have tried this,

After my ill-fated attempt to use latest version of Yahoo Instant Messenger (The Malware), I manually removed all traces of Yahoo Instant Messenger from my system. One thing however persisted - their search engine plugin for Firefox.

Yesterday when I installed Flock I realized Yahoo is selected as their default search engine plugin too.

Obviously Yahoo is paying huge sum to make such a inane search engine as the default in browsers such as Firefox and Flock. Yahoo search is miles behind Google. In fact MSN search is closer than Yahoo.

According to Valley serial entrepreneur Mark Pincus Mozilla Foundation is rumored to be making 30 million annually off of its deal for the google search box in Firefox.

In any case I decided to no longer tolerate Yahoo on my system. No longer will I allow it to come up as a default search engine. It took me about 3 minutes to achieve Yahoo-free-nirvana.

Steps to remove Yahoo or any other Search Engine from Firefox / Flock:

Step 1

Firefox

Go to [installation Directory]\searchplugins

Flock

Go to [installation Directory]\Flock\searchplugins

Step 2

Delete Yahoo.gif & Yahoo.src

(Delete the corresponding files for removing any other search engine)

Step 3

Restart your browser

Step 4

Enjoy Yahoo free world!

But it hasn't worked, largely because I don't get the predicted pages.

Sorry to say mate as Mr Jones once sang "it's not UNUSUAL!!" I found that yesterday when I tried to follow Firefoxes own fault finding on something!! the bloody things did not exist for me either! I have asked a friend in the UK I'll let you know as soon as I do! :-)

then this in my inbox from Phil who is part ozzie! (not sure WHICH part!! But he has relations there!! Mind he IS Welsh as well so........)

http://www.webbythoughts.com/127/using-the...of-your-choice/

LOOKS to address the problem? Surprised Mozilla don't have anything about it?? And did a search and several different procedures using this appeared. Hope it works!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

Sorry to say mate as Mr Jones once sang "it's not UNUSUAL!!" I found that yesterday when I tried to follow Firefoxes own fault finding on something!! the bloody things did not exist for me either! I have asked a friend in the UK I'll let you know as soon as I do! :-)

then this in my inbox from Phil who is part ozzie! (not sure WHICH part!! But he has relations there!! Mind he IS Welsh as well so........)

http://www.webbythoughts.com/127/using-the...of-your-choice/

LOOKS to address the problem? Surprised Mozilla don't have anything about it?? And did a search and several different procedures using this appeared. Hope it works!

THanks for that. I will have a go at that tomorrow. (Had a few beers) but I have tried that config about thing. I just need to have the predicted path to come up. I don't know if Yahoo thinks it is gaining by having this happen but it icertainly is NOT with me. In fact I hate bloody Yahoo now and I will never use it when I can avoid it. Every time I switch on my browser I delete Yahoo even though I know that it well be back.

:wallbash:

Edited by chevin