How much does this weigh please ?

Lid

I know this is not very big as barbel go, but I also know it is more than 6½ lbs. This was the best of four (or was it five) I caught tonight from a small, very wild part of the River Lea near my home. When I came to weigh it, I discovered I'd lost my scales. I had them last Sunday!!!

My net measures 26" on the wiidest part. Realistic estimates greatly appreciatd. Last time I guessed the weight of fish I peronsally caught, I was 2½ lbs under (it was a 9 lbs salmon - I thought it was about 6½ lbs).

IMG_2660c.jpg

and her other side

IMG_2652c.jpg

Thanks - however I am sure it was a bit bigger than this one which I did weigh a while back and it came to 6½ lbs. I was hoping today's one may be nudging 7lbs? It's the same unhooking mat and my scales were reasonably accurate until I lost them.

lwbarbel09.jpg

Edited by Lid

I haven't caught enough barbel to know how wide they should be, but both yesterday's fish and the older fish in my second post were really quite wide I thought. I also had one about a week ago that was a similar length, but a lot thinner. I thank it was this one, which I did not weigh but guessed at around 4½ ibs :

IMG_2640s.jpg

Without scales you'll never really know no matter what we all think it is or could be. Trouble with pictures is that they can be so deceiving and make a fish look bigger or smaller than it actually is. Lid, you'll have to remember your scales next time :)

Great lookin fish whatever they weigh !

Somewhere between upper 5 and lower 7!

Nice fish whatever!

Did you catch it on batteries and the smaller one on margarine then?

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Somewhere between upper 5 and lower 7!

Nice fish whatever!

Did you catch it on batteries and the smaller one on margarine then?

LoL - all on cubes of boosted meat.

My initial guess was "about 6lb" and i'm usually pretty good at guesstimating live fish, but it's surprisingly difficult to judge from a photo. I've taken a slightly more scientific approach and measured each fish in "reel lengths". This one is approx 10% bigger than your previous one so i'm gonna say "just over 7". ;)

Unfortunately I think barbel are probably the hardest fish to guess the weight off, I find I'm usually within 1 or 2lb for carp, tench and bream...

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero