Any mackerel?

Chub Frenzy

torquay - hopes nose - spin with feathers in the sun shine add a sequine or two if its overcast and happy days, try a single hook feather trace on the lightest rod you can find to really enjoy the chase, you can play them all the way in .

pretty much all the southwest harbours from plymouth to exmouth, lyme to weymouth and up give a good summer yeild of makeral, wait for a sun shiney blue sky and it shouldn't take too long before you start hitting 'em. if you can get out into the deep blue then chase the gulls.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally had some off the chesil this morning, up at 4.30, spinning in the rain, sea boiled with whitebait, think I saw a garfish jump a few yards out, scad were with them too.

fish001.jpg

Went on to the estuary to pick samphire, came home & cooked me & Mrs becky a big sunday lunch of potato salad, samphire & devilled mackerelfish, all grown, caught or foraged by the zig.

Also got a box of chocolates, still sealed & within date, a ventolin inhaler ( full) & a big log for me fire.All washed up on the tide line

Not a bad day. :)

Edited by ziggy searchfield

Went on to the estuary to pick samphire, came home & cooked me & Mrs becky a big sunday lunch of potato salad, samphire & devilled mackerelfish, all grown, caught or foraged by the zig.

Not a bad day. :)

Zig

A nice romantic dinner for two; I will have to get Sue some Mackerel and try it myself.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Zig

A nice romantic dinner for two; I will have to get Sue some Mackerel and try it myself.

Tony

Would have been romantic, but for one small detail....

I'm sure sue would appreciate it more :D

Have been back down for a few days, have now got fridge full of oak smoke mackerel & scad.

Chub Frenzy. You have been asking about mackerel of three or four years now and along the way you have been given quite a lot of advice on how and where to catch them and also advice on where to get local information. Have you made use of any of that advice and caught any mackerel yet? They are probably one of the easiest summer fish around the coasts of the UK and by now you should know enough about them to be able to catch them pretty much anywhere. So, I ask again, have you caught any yet?

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The point of this topic was to find out when the mackerel are goiing to arrive. There is no point going fisiing for a fish that isnt there. So no i have not caught any yet, but next thursday onwards, driving down to Herne Bay, Kent, with some feathers, and will try many different piers all around that area...... Whistable Harbour Pier, Herne Bay Pier, Hampton Pier, Maybe Broadstairs area, if there is anywhere there, Ramsgate Pier..... And anywhere else where there is a pier to fish from.

The reason i chose to fish from piers is because for feathering its easier to let it sink and draw from higher than the beach.

Many Thanks

Chub

Ziggys new song.....

I Be smoking mackerell,

Smokin in my shed,

I be smokin mackerell,

The neighbours want me dead,

I be smokin mackerell,

the moral of this thread,

Is that, I be smokin mackerell,

and Chub frenzy isn't yet.

:D

(Sorry for rhyming without a valid poetic licence)

Only joshing you CF, you get out there & catch one, had 25 this morn, shook the little ones off in the surf & kept 18, one was 1LB.

Tis true about the need to know when they are in Chevin, i bin fishing for months for em & have only just started catching em. As the great John Seymore, self sufficiency writer said, "don't waste time fishing when the fish are not there, you're better off doing something more productive"

Saying that, they were not there at my usual spot last night, when there had been loads a few days earlier, so I went a bit further afield this morning, when the sun came out, I saw thousands of them swimming past in the surf.

Only joshing you CF, you get out there & catch one, had 25 this morn, shook the little ones off in the surf & kept 18, one was 1LB.

Tis true about the need to know when they are in Chevin, i bin fishing for months for em & have only just started catching em. As the great John Seymore, self sufficiency writer said, "don't waste time fishing when the fish are not there, you're better off doing something more productive"

Saying that, they were not there at my usual spot last night, when there had been loads a few days earlier, so I went a bit further afield this morning, when the sun came out, I saw thousands of them swimming past in the surf.

It is true that it is best to know where they are but mackerel are pelagics and they move around quite a lot, also they tend to follow their food source which might be small fish or sand eels and they move around as they are being chased. So knowing where they are today may not be much help for tomorrow. There are places of course that when the mackerel are in that part of the world they will be in those areas, but in my experience you need a boat to get to most them, and you probably won't find too many people who know of them being prepared to divulge the position of those places. I had two favourite places off the west coast of Ireland where I could normally get the mackerel I needed for bait. On the odd occasions they weren't there, I looked around for working flocks of gannets. Sometimes a shoal of mackerel will stay in place for ages and that is when anglers can take huge bags of them. But as with any other fish, you may have to hunt for them during the time you have available and you might have to be lucky to hit on a spot where they are on a day trip from other parts of the country.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The only time I've really had much success with mackerel from the shore was when I lived on the sea front and could nip out with a rod as soon as I saw them arrive. You can take a punt on them being at a certain place on any given evening, but it's just as likely they're at the other end of the beach or ten miles up the coast. Not a problem if you are local, and you can check out half a dozen likely spots with a short drive, but if you are driving from some distance away and don't know the area well, you're at high risk of disappointment.

I am envious of Ziggy's mackerel.

And of Ziggy's smoker.

I suspect my neighbours are happier for that, though.

Brave to say that Tony, if im down that way i will definatly give it ago - i dont actually live in Kent but do have a holiday house in Herne Bay.

Anyway there cant be that much difference from Heren Bay to Dover.

Anyway keep me posted

Thanks

Chub

Theres a big difference between Herne bay and Dover Admiralty Pier, Herne is very shallow and great for Bass and Thorneback back naff for Mackeral :o but if you are down that way Dover is only half an hour away or there is Deal pier or Ramsgate pier they will both show Mackeral but just not the same amount.