My First proper Perch of the Season

JV44

We went out on our narrow boat on the Thames to an area that has been good to me for stripeys before and i managed this one and lost one a bit bigger

001-7.jpg

002-9.jpg

003-6.jpg

I used the tender to get right against the overhanging willows opposite and as the water was 10` deep there just let the bait drift right into the cover and unlike my normal yearning to try several spots just sat it out there until the float shot under ,She went 2lb12oz but the one that came off shortly afterwards was a fair bit bigger :wallbash: .

Its real hit and hold stuff as it`s snag city with all the tree branches /roots etc but thats where they live in the bright sunshine so its fish as near as you dare and always hold the rod and only fish one rod ,hard to concentrate on the float continually in that bright sunshine but you have to coz if you look away for a second.....

The water is tap water clear and i saw the second one clearly just before it got into the snag and the hook pulled ,Bloody soft mouths argh!! .

Met up with Nick S off here for a chat on Friday night who was fishing from a small boat just downstream from where we moored catching Barbel and Chub as did his Boat partner and they did even better Saturday night but sure he will update if he see`s this thread .

005-6.jpg

There was a mid double Pike that kept having a go at my bait cage in the water which makes you jump out of your skin when its that close

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Some really nice fish there m8...well done !

Did you not get sunburnt, it looks like a scorcher of a day ?

Tigger thanks i am lucky in that i don`t burn but the girlfriend is looking a glowing lobster colour :lol: ,It was a scorcher alright .

That part of the river is rammed with zillions of Bleak so the Perch and Chub grow to be massive but sadly i couldnt connect with any real biggys but you know that feeling when you know you are in the right area and the next fish could be realy special and then the float dissapears.....

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Tigger thanks i am lucky in that i don`t burn but the girlfriend is looking a glowing lobster colour :lol: ,It was a scorcher alright .

That part of the river is rammed with zillions of Bleak so the Perch and Chub grow to be massive but sadly i couldnt connect with any real biggys but you know that feeling when you know you are in the right area and the next fish could be realy special and then the float dissapears.....

You are lucky you don't burn, unfortunatly I burn the same as your mrs does and I would for sure if I shaved me Yed before going sitting in the sun.

Yeah I do know that feeling when everything is geared up to there being a good chance that the next fish is gonna be something special...you can't go home... gotta have one more cast just incase lol. I think I'd target that spot again as soon as poss :) .

Lovely fish Steve and good to see you on Friday. Clearly the mantra that Perch only feed in low light conditions is not always true! As Steve mentioned I caught two lovely Barbel (first of the season and first one in probably over a year) from the Thames on Saturday evening. They were both small, one around 1.5lb and the other 2lb. Rare to catch Barbel of that size but hopefully it's a good sign that they are spawning and breeding successfully. Also lost two good fish which I wasn't too happy about, especially not when the hook length snaps for no good reason (won't be using Reflo Powerline again!). Anyway, more details will be in my blog for those that are interested, may take me a few days to update it though!

p.s I would definitely have had a go for that Pike!

Edited by Nicholas S

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Lovely fish...I love the second picture...your cleavage would put mine to shame! :P

Beautifully put Janet, I was trying to think of the words.

Well done Steve, a great reward for patience in sweltering conditions. It does look bloody hot.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Nice fish mate and report and pics...................I won't mention the cleavage B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Nice fish mate and report and pics...................I won't mention the cleavage B)

Bloody Beer/Wine and Chocolate thems the things to blame :D trouble is i like Beer /Wine and the dreaded Chocolate ,Rusty we are back there this coming weekend if you fancy a go on Saturday......