Is this a roach?

AddictedToScopex

Hi all,

Caught this lovely looking fish last night (along with many nice barbel) and was struck by how bronze it was. It seemed to have tinges of red also along its back and very deep coloured fins. I think we can agree it is a very nice coloured fish but is it a roach? I counted the lateral scales and got 41 so not sure. Any ideas are welcome. All the roach i have ever caught have had far lighter silvery scales than this, including specimens caught from a stretch of the river further down, and a lighter colour of red (in many cases orange) on the fins. I also checked the mouth which was not upturned like a rudd. Im pretty sure it was a roach but would like to get a second opinion from you guys. It came in at 1lb 6oz which i was very pleased with as i have only had one other roach from this stretch since i started fishing it at the beginning of the season. I should also add that it was on the suggested corn again lol.

Here it is:

2aez0g6.jpg

and its mouth

ix6re8.jpg

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Yes and a beauty.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Yea that looks like a very nice roach haven’t seen one of those out in a while, did you catch it on barbell gear?

On a barbel rod with a light tip in using cage feeder and corn. Was really happy to see it as its been a while since i had a good sized roach and only the second from that stretch. It was the colouration that threw me. Have never seen a roach that golden and red. Going back tomorrow to spend some more time there and hunt out a bigger one as i was only there for around 2 hours. Had 4 barbel too. Was a really good night. Tomorrows session is going to be used to compare maggots Vs. corn. One feeder using each plus hemp.

That looks like a decent roach in top nick...well done ATS. Apparantly there's been a roach of over 3lb out very recently !

Thanks Tigger, Now thats a fish i wouldnt mind catching. Having had a very good day on the chub last saturday im now going to move my focus to hitting some good roach tomorrow. Keeps me on my toes trying to target one species at a time. More than happy to catch the odd barbel and chub in the mix though lol. Going to be a VERY early morning tomorrow in the quest for a good roach. Want to get some good feed going through the swim early to hopefully keep the fish on it. And also got to beat the regulars down there to get my peg. Got two pegs in mind but one runs quicker than the other and so i dont think roach would prefer it. What do you think? Do roach like fast water or do they prefer a slower pace?

That should bring the roach on. Is it a very clear river? could be why the fish is very bronze in coluor.

It is clearer than some other stretches I have seen so it is possible. Although i am no expert lol as I am relatively new to fishing rivers exclusively. I have learnt a lot very quickly though (thanks to advice from people on here) and I love it. Dont think ill ever go back to the puddles unless i fancy some hit and hope fishing when im in a lazy mood lol. Which i cant really see happening in the foreseeable future.

What do you think? Do roach like fast water or do they prefer a slower pace?

If the rivers still pretty low i'd go for the faster water. Obviously if the river is up a bit then I'd try the slightly slower glides. If there's no one about try em both ;):D

Probably to late now but casters are a favourite of roach.

Edited by Tigger

Hate to say this, but it sems to have a hint of gold in places, maybe a touch of Rudd in there somewhere. No hint of the blue that you usually get with Roach.

Nice fish though :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic