Anyone know what this is?

wellyphant

I was doing a bit of fell walking the other day and i stopped for a short rest near a small lake.The lake is called low water,at the base of Brim fell near coniston old man.While i was taking a few snapshots i saw something swimming on the surface.At first i thought it was some kind of insect larva as it was only about 3/4" long but as it had a fish like swimming style i decided against that.Looking at the photos it looks like some sort of lizard but one so small??any ideas anyone??

035-1.jpg

Here's a closer shot a bit blurred due to using my zoom

037-1.jpg

Looks the right colour and size for a smooth newt. Never seen one swimming on the surface like that though so maybe it is a little lizard. Time to do some googling.....

Leave only footprints

Its a Newt

I looked on a British reptile and amphibian site and it does look like a smooth newt but this was tiny and swimming on the surface.Also the lake(tarn)doesn't seem consistent with a smooth newts ideal Habitat,,ie bogs,marshes and woodland.Having said that Brian,,so far it's looking like a newt.

Edited by wellyphant

I looked on a British reptile and amphibian site and it does look like a smooth newt but this was tiny and swimming on the surface.Also the lake(tarn)doesn't seem consistent with a smooth newts ideal Habitat,,ie bogs,marshes and woodland.Having said that Brian,,so far it's looking like a newt.

it could have been too small to break the water surface film.

Definitely a 'dry' newt (in terretrial mode) but could be a palmate or smooth!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Just got the image of a newt power ranger! Terrestrial Mode. GO! Aquatic Mode! GO! Then they all gang up into a giant killer newt and go on the rampage...

Sorry i shared that, think I've had a bit too much sugar today!

Nice to see them tho. Haven't seen one for a while myself.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue