Starting Fly Fishing

Chub Frenzy

I have recently found out that there is a trout fishery just down the lane from my house and i would like to go there sometime. But frist a few questions:

Equipment - what do need - I dont want to spend a fortune...

Season - When to go...

Tips - any handy begginer tips...

Tying flies - al part of keeping the cost down - how do i get started.

Many thanks

Chubfrenzy

I have recently found out that there is a trout fishery just down the lane from my house and i would like to go there sometime. But frist a few questions:

Equipment - what do need - I dont want to spend a fortune...

Season - When to go...

Tips - any handy begginer tips...

Tying flies - al part of keeping the cost down - how do i get started.

Many thanks

Chubfrenzy

I am assuming that your local fishery is a stocked Rainbow fishery

To start you need a rod, Shakespeare do very good rods without breaking the bank. Probably around 9' and 5/6 wt

Reels, again get a cheap Shakespeare. Don't bother with disc drags at this stage.

Line. This is one of the most important bits. You will never cast well with a bad line. If buying mail order then John Norris do what they call Mill Ends. Cheap and usually very good. You will want a 6 wt weight forward floating line.

Leader material is 5 or 6lb mono of choice.

As for flies, go to the fishery and ask the owner what works. He will probably sell you what you need to begin with. Once you know what works buy them by the dozen from ebay and help support child labour in Kenya. <_<

You will not save money by tying your own flies.

Lastly, get someone to show you how to do it. It will save time and money. The fishery owner can probably supply basic tuition.

Most fisheries are open all year round and rainbows can be caught all year round.

Enjoy

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I echo both Sportsmans ands FOG :D You will get plenty of advice and help there.

Don't run away with the idea that you will save money tying your own flies-it grabs hold of you and you will find yourself getting engrossed :D

Try Selectafly for some flies,they are very good,service is good and prices ok. :D