Influx in ''Pointless'' fishing gear?

larsagi2010

Like all of these things, they are an ingenious solution to a very specific angling challenge which occurs on particular types of water - in this case, fishing small features at distance in big, difficult waters where you intend to lie in wait for as long as it takes to get that one fish.

Where it goes wrong with all these things is that they get mass produced in China and hyped in the fishing rags and before long every 12 year old in the country thinks he needs the latest gadget, bait or rig to catch the tame carp in his local pond.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember when the fixed spool first began to be available at a reasonable price, then came solid fibreglass rods, followed quite quickly by hollowglass rods, then came the closed face reel again within the reach of most anglers, then it was carbon.

Each time it has been the same response from the angling community and I am as guilty as the next angler.

With one notable exception when imitation (FAKE) lead was introduced, I think we got about as close to actually getting off our rears and doing something about it sadly we were all just to lethargic and filled with apathy to be bothered...hey wait a minute we still are...so I guess we had just better get used to being restricted in a few new ways and areas each year until fishing is finally and totally banned.

There will always be those against new innovations just as there will be those who misuse them.

The major difference now is we have the internet and mass communication of information, innovation and gripes.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Actually, I think the lead substitutes have improved over the 23 years since the ban, to the point that the best of them are almost as good as lead! The original lead free shot were absolutely dire compared to what we have now.

Actually, I think the lead substitutes have improved over the 23 years since the ban, to the point that the best of them are almost as good as lead! The original lead free shot were absolutely dire compared to what we have now.

I agree Steve. I still have some Lead shots here from when I first started fishing about 15 years ago. I also picked some shots up in Cyprus or Turkey (Can't remember which) about 6 years ago that are also lead.

I really should throw them as I never use them!

My current choice of shot is:

http://www.dinsmores.co.uk/viewlargeimage....=28&subId=1

That exact pack. Never let me down :)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I have just thought of one item of tackle i think is really pointless. Those daft boilie throwing sticks. Why would you want to launch your boilies one at a time using a bent stick when you can simply put 20 of them in a bag and attach them to your hook. Never understood the need for them or the use.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I totally agree especially your comment nearly as good as lead

but even today unless using stots line damage can be caused so easily.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God