If YOU could build fisheries...

Manhattan63

So, there's this valley. Beyond that, it's pretty much a blank canvas. A site of hundreds of acres (clearly wouldn't use it all!).

I'm not looking for a free-design on a lake plan, nor trying to 'do' anyone out of work...

BUT... if you had a valley, a blank canvas and (hopefully) an income stream from the earth-movements required, what would YOU do with it?

Could be as many or as few lakes as required. Plenty of space for parking, a tackle shop, maybe even some log cabins. What are the essentials? The luxuries?

If the world was your oyster, what would you have in your fishery if you could build it from scratch?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the world was your oyster, what would you have in your fishery if you could build it from scratch?

Still thinking,

Tell you what I wouldn't have in it though - bream and carp :rolleyes::rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

1 lake filled to the brim with carp from 10lb to 25lb

1 lake with only 100 or so carp to 60lb and cats to 90lb

1 lake with large tench

1 lake with lots of small carp, tench, bream, crucians e.t.c

AND one small lake with an absolutely massive fish thats hard to catch :D:rolleyes:

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

So, there's this valley. Beyond that, it's pretty much a blank canvas. A site of hundreds of acres (clearly wouldn't use it all!).

I'm not looking for a free-design on a lake plan, nor trying to 'do' anyone out of work...

BUT... if you had a valley, a blank canvas and (hopefully) an income stream from the earth-movements required, what would YOU do with it?

Could be as many or as few lakes as required. Plenty of space for parking, a tackle shop, maybe even some log cabins. What are the essentials? The luxuries?

If I had the above to work with and there was no limit in regards to Budgets or suchlike I would build the following.

A LARGE family lake, which would be an oval in shape with two small strip islands in the middle so in essence you had a figure of 8 shape. Pegs available should be around 35-50. The islands would be prohibited from fishing from, but would contain oxygenating reed beds around them with some overhanging trees.

Around the outside of the lake I would divide pegs with small overhanging trees and have some nice reed beds along parts of the margins as well as lillies.

The lake would be about 6-7ft deep in the middle, but would have a 2-3ft deep marginal shelf right around the edge. There would be a path going right around the lake, but the path would be set about 6 meters from the bank and would be built using the playground rubber to avoid people creating vibrations when moving to-from their pegs with fishing trollies ect:

There would be a snack bar which serves food and drinks both hot and cold. An employee from the snack bar would patrol the lake on the rubber path every 50 mins and take orders for food/drink. She would then come round and deliver your food and drinks. Or maybe a text in service. You get a text number for the snack bar and can message 1 x Sausage and Egg to peg #17, and they would come and deliver it for you.

Maybe 30-40 fixed caravans for people to stay in, also an area for tents ect: to accomodate people for fishing holidays ect:

Full disabled facilities on the lakeside such as Toilets. Also a park for the young kids to play in, set in view but a fair distance away so they don't disturb the fishing. The park would have a secure fence right round. Also a Tackle/Bait shop which would contain the usual baits/gear at a reasonable price.

This family lake would be stocked with all the favourite course fish, but would also include F1's, Crusians, and maybe about 15 decent sized Koi to add some variety.

The only rules would be:

Barbless hooks only

Only bait from the tackle shop to be used - This would mean there would be no bait bans as we know the bait used is safe for fisheries. Also we can limit how much we sell. For example if someone want 6kg of Boilies to bait it up we can say...No excess baiting up is allowed.

Oh and there would be a special promotion on.

In the lake would be 14 Golden Tench. If you catch 1 of the Golden Tench you get a 50% off voucher for next time!

In addition to this would be two smaller lakes. One would be stocked with specimen Carp, Tench & Bream.

The other would be for Trout fishing (Not for me, but I imagine it would get some good income from the other anglers who do enjoy it) and you are only allowed to fly fish it!

Maybe something with Catfish would be on the books also. Would encourage people to purchase a caravan for the day rather then fish n go.

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

A few pretty trivial features I'd insist on would be...

Clear signage to indicate...

- Prices

- Where and how to pay

- The location of toilets

- Where to park and where not to park

- Actual, current opening and closing times*

- Which lakes are open

- Honestly stated current lake stocks**

- Contact telephone number(s) in case of problems.

* As opposed to some sort of nebulous "we shut the gates at dusk" stuff.

** Not a vague guess at what was in there five years ago before the addition of a tanker full of carp.

I'd go for an intimate pond - reed fringed with lots of lillies. Species: Crucians, Tench, Rudd maybe a few perch - and I wouldn't object to the odd bream. Definitely no carp or roach. (Or exotics)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'd go for an intimate pond - reed fringed with lots of lillies. Species: Crucians, Tench, Rudd maybe a few perch - and I wouldn't object to the odd bream. Definitely no carp or roach. (Or exotics)

C.

Top Marks. There are not enough of this type of water in the country...far too many people want big 'puddle' carp.

Lots of great suggestions, it feels like I've had about 20 cups of coffee today, just got one of those buzzes.

I'm sure there'll be hundreds of problems to overcome if this goes any further. Not sure I'd envisaged anyone delivering egg & sausage to peg #17 though!

If it does go any further, I'll keep a blog/diary of everything. (a) because I have a terrible memory and (B) it'll be nice to share the triumphs and nightmares along the way.

Keep the suggestions coming, I've already got hundreds of grab-lorries wanting to drop here and I've only mentioned it to a couple of mates (truth be told I'll be buying an 8-wheeler and undercutting everyone :lol: )

Why :(:(:(:(

There is not enough space, or time, to list the waters that have been ruined by the introduction of carp and bream.

My emphasis would be on tench, crucians, perch, plus gudgeon to provide perch food. I would also have roach and rudd, but in separate lakes. Very low stocking density also.

Rather like the estate lakes, woodland pools and farm ponds that I have fished most of my life.......... before they were taken over by clubs and stuffed with skimmers and small carp.

...Oh, and fishing by invitation only.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...