John Wilson Avon quiver

Tigger

The rod is in excellent nick except for the first/largest eye on the quiver section. The liner fell out. I've pushed it back in to the best of my ability. I haven't glued it so it could fall out unless glued.

Anyone interested, make me an offer :D

The rod is in excellent nick except for the first/largest eye on the quiver section. The liner fell out. I've pushed it back in to the best of my ability. I haven't glued it so it could fall out unless glued.

Anyone interested, make me an offer :D

Is this the version that had the full cork handle ?

If so I'd be interested, I've broken the "standard" tip on mine!

Mat

Mat

Is this the version that had the full cork handle ?

If so I'd be interested, I've broken the "standard" tip on mine!

Mat

No Mat it's got half cork, half duplon. It's pre masterline though or there's no mention of masterline on the rod , bag etc and all the graphics are crystal clear.

No Mat it's got half cork, half duplon. It's pre masterline though or there's no mention of masterline on the rod , bag etc and all the graphics are crystal clear.

Don't think that'd be any good to me, my brother had one of that version, and I've already tried to pinch his "standard" tip, it didn't fit :(

Mat

Mat

Don't think that'd be any good to me, my brother had one of that version, and I've already tried to pinch his "standard" tip, it didn't fit :(

Mat

No worries Matt. I've only just noticed it was made by masterline after all....Ryobi masterline written in very small writing, can't belive I didn't see it :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...
Hi, I'd be interested if you still have it? Cheers. srtrafford@msn.com

Hi bennysmarket, no I sold that one but have another one, a used once by myself from new that I may part with if your interested.

Yes Ryobi/Masterline made the original JW rods.Werent that much dough to buy new and had the usual crap build quality........................................but regardless still an iconic rod and every bit as "usable" as anything since.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes Ryobi/Masterline made the original JW rods.Werent that much dough to buy new and had the usual crap build quality........................................but regardless still an iconic rod and every bit as "usable" as anything since.

I have to stick up for them Budgie, I think the blank and action is second to none but the guides could be better. Saying that they do their job. I love the colour of the whippings and finnish though and I find the through action to be absolutly perfect, on both tops ! The cork appears to be of very good quality. To be honest I might not sell this rod as when I used it I had a shed full of barbel and it really was a pleasure playing them on it.

I have to stick up for them Budgie, I think the blank and action is second to none but the guides could be better. Saying that they do their job. I love the colour of the whippings and finish though and I find the through action to be absolutely perfect, on both tops ! The cork appears to be of very good quality. To be honest I might not sell this rod as when I used it I had a shed full of barbel and it really was a pleasure playing them on it.

No need to stick up for them Ian they are great rods just Ryobi/Masterline usual pi$$ poor finish. They had a habit in them days of coming up with some really well designed blanks (but still poorly made) I thought their Pike lure system (cant remember the name?) rod that came with a straight butt and a cranked handle was a brilliant design.

As I said nearly all their rods of that era were like that.Could never understand why such well thought out gear was made so badly. Not sure who their design consultant was back then I think it was just before Chris Liebrant got involved but not sure that he would have had much input in design.

Anyone looking at getting into specimen fishing though could do a lot worse than a pair of the Wilson Avon's though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!