Computer Problem--WMP11

I run Windows XP Home version 2002 using SP3.

My problem is this.

My WMP 11 will play 1 song after I turn on my system then will not play any stored music that I have on my system, whatever format, MP3 or other.

After the first song plays okay all subsequent requests come up with an error message.

** I have tried rolling back as far as WMP 9 but the same problem is still there. Even in WMP 9 or 10.**

However, WMP 11 still allows me to burn music to CD, so it obviously recognises it.

ERROR MESSAGE:

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

I then have the option of sending and error report or not.

Deatils of error Information.

Error Signature:

AppName: wmplayer.exe

AppVer: 11.0.5721.5262

Modname: Unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0

Offset: 45c7c033

The error then goes into alot of Computer Jargon and at the bottom goes on about a file that will be included in the error report.

C:\DOCUME~1\User|LOCALS~1\Temp\e4e7_appcompat.txt.

Now as a virtual computer novice this has me baffled and I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem?

The only other thing that I have on my system to do with WMP is WMP Classic, but this is not set as default.

Any help appreciated.

1. Clean/remove all cookies and temp internet files / cache.

2. Click on start>run & key in cmd then click OK

3. In the new window, key in chkdsk /f and press ENTER (note the space between chkdsk and /f)

4. Answer Y to doing the job at next reboot then reboot.

The chkdsk process will run (can take minutes or lots longer but let it run) and the PC will reboot again. Hopefully things will be working normally after that.

If you are unsure about removing all your cookies & temp internet files, download Ccleaner and use it to do the job. When you run Ccleaner, you will have a button labeled "Run Cleaner" and all you have to do is press it, let it present you with a long list of stuff to remove, and click to have it removed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I am afraid that your advice did not work.

I did everything you suggested step by step and rebooted my system.

Using WMP11 immediately after reboot the first track played no problem.

I stopped the track playing to choose another track and it returned the same error message as before, identical.

I cannot understand how WMP11 will recognise the first track after reboot only to error message all the others.

I have completed a full sweep of my system and no issues are found...I am extremely frustrated with this now.

Edited by Now there's a right un.

Scrap it. WMP is pap. Download WinAmp or other such plug-ins (www.sourceforge.org is an excellent resource for freeware).

However I run Ubuntu/Gnome GUI Linux usually so I have a grudge against Windows anyway.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

If you create a play list with more than 1 mp3 file in it, will WMP play all three tracks or does it stop after the first?

How much RAM do you have in your PC?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I am afraid that your advice did not work.

I did everything you suggested step by step and rebooted my system.

I have completed a full sweep of my system and no issues are found...I am extremely frustrated with this now.

Sorry it didn't solve the problem. The /f switch with chkdsk repairs an amazing number of annoying Windows glitches but at worst, it should have things running a little faster and smoother for you overall.

At least now you know what the problem isn't and hopefully one of the other suggestions here will help.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you create a play list with more than 1 mp3 file in it, will WMP play all three tracks or does it stop after the first?

How much RAM do you have in your PC?

I haven't tried to create playlist as such just tried to play individual tracks. I will try the playlist now and see.

As to RAM I have 3GB of it and I have checked that it is not loose.

Do you think my system could be corrupted??

I have just created a 6 track playlist and attempted to play using WMP11.

The first track played correctly only. From track 2 I just continued to get the error message.

Frustrated isn't the word now...lol.

OK.Please post the contents of C:\DOCUME~1\User|LOCALS~1\Temp\e4e7_appcompat.txt up here so that I can have a gander at it. There might be a clue in there somewhere.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I cannot locate this file anywhere in my system. Please also note error correction.

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\e4e7_appcompat.txt

I have tried to use the search icon on the start menu to find the file without success.

No results for this file.

Do you think my system is corrupted?