red-worms

davedave

You know those little redworms that wriggle like crazy once hooked, you find them in the compost heap, well ive used them a couple of times for perch and had some success but not thought much of it. But recently whilst looking thorough a fishing book, in the bait section it quoted 'if i could only have one bait for carp it would be the red-worm as they are the closest thing to resembling their main diet, bloodworm'. This got me thinking, what else would they be good for? What luck have you had with these worms, info please :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

You know those little redworms that wriggle like crazy once hooked, you find them in the compost heap, well ive used them a couple of times for perch and had some success but not thought much of it. But recently whilst looking thorough a fishing book, in the bait section it quoted 'if i could only have one bait for carp it would be the red-worm as they are the closest thing to resembling their main diet, bloodworm'. This got me thinking, what else would they be good for? What luck have you had with these worms, info please :)

I've had some cracking action on the 'tip' in the past catching some good bags of Bream with redworm.I've also blanked woefully with them!

Never used them for Carp though.

I usually put a Lob on the hook if choosing worm at all to be honest.Just a confidence thing, as have had some very nice fish of most species with these.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

I've had some cracking action on the 'tip' in the past catching some good bags of Bream with redworm.I've also blanked woefully with them!

Never used them for Carp though.

I usually put a Lob on the hook if choosing worm at all to be honest.Just a confidence thing, as have had some very nice fish of most species with these.

ok thanks, i am the opposite, never had much luck with lob-worms!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I would imagine that the type of worm used is not as important as presentation.

Just my two-penneth worth. :thumbs:

Leaving aside the merits or otherwise of lobworms I'd have to disagree with that, the majority of compost bin worms are Brandlings (easily identified by the yellow bands around them), proper Redworms (more often found in muckheaps) are much more attractive to fish.

Leaving aside the merits or otherwise of lobworms I'd have to disagree with that, the majority of compost bin worms are Brandlings (easily identified by the yellow bands around them), proper Redworms (more often found in muckheaps) are much more attractive to fish.

If fishing for perch (or other species for that matter) I have found that putting 5 or 6 on a10 hook, you have a writhing mass that the perch love. Doesn't get biggies though - well not yet anyway. Single for grayling is great.

Many anglers say that redworm outfishes brandling, but to be honest I've never directly compared the two. I've had success for my target species using both. I use the redworm when fishing for grayling, roach etc. because anglers much better than me tell me it works.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

We had a huge pile of decomposing horse manure in the farmers field next to our clubs estate lake which was full of Redworms but when it was almost completely rotted down the redworms started to be replaced with Brandlings which were not as good.

We used to catch large bags of Tench Crucian and Bream on the redworms but the yellow banded brandlings tended to only catch us small Perch.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

From experience I'd have to say that redworm is better than brandlings, don't know why, have yet to talk to a fish!

Reds will catch anything that swims to my knowledge.

Usually I'll have a quick dig through the base of turd mountain for 5 mins. Usually get enough for a couple of days fishing. Just hope the farmer doesn't catch me!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

From experience I'd have to say that redworm is better than brandlings, don't know why, have yet to talk to a fish!

Maybe because brandlings smell strongly of cabbage. :yucky:

Had a lot of dace and roach on them.

http://WhereToShoreFish.com - video guides to the South Coast's shore marks