Centre Pin Casting

slitshot

Guest bbamboo

Totally agree distance casting with a pin could be viewed as far removed from practical fishing in most cases.

For comparison distance casting with a fly line impressive but little real value with a dry fly.

Always liked the casting side of things, fly rods, beachcasters you name it.

We should all meet up on some frosty field some were?

On a different note some detailed charts compiling inertia testing on individual reels would be of some value for pin users (I think there’s plenty of users on here to get this of the ground.

Anyone got a web site were the info could be compiled and accessible.

We could get some very interesting results on the new and older models, which would be of real practical value. Some standardisation would need be in order

The Greys reel was the new model, which was returned

The spool had play which in my view was not acceptable on a new reel, one of the handles was very loose and the centre grub screw had a very bad habit of tightening up after a few trots and locking the spool solid.

Recieved a full refund no questions asked.

Edited by bbamboo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first year of casting and float fishing with a pin , don,t see any anglers in my neck of the wood using one so was in terested in just how far it is possible to cast a pin. Been experimenting with my Shakespear Linclon which I have ported ( drilled spool full off holes ) to reduce weight and to overcome some of the flywheel effect by moving the weight to the centre of spool , bearings were flushed out with lighter fuel and different grades of oil added, using 90 grade gearbox oil at the moment and casting about 25yrds so was wondering with more practice could I cast 35yrds

Using a long rod for my fishing mainly for it,s stopping power, but it is starting to give my wrist gip so I was looking for recomadations for a float rod 14 to 15 ft long that casts weel with a pin

Picked up a Scott May Ariel copy for Barbel fishing does anyone know if this is a colectable reel, nice runner but has a bit of wobble, been told you can get the wobble out by having it serviced ?

Your welcome I should add the rider that when FWK Wallis was talking about long casts he was using Pelican quills and other very heavy floats that were and indeed still are of great value on rivers like the Hampshire Avon that does in places flow deepish and fairly quickly.

To be honest I occasionaly use the MAP bolo floats when Grayling fishing the long sight tip on them makes them superb tools for really long range trotting as you can still see them and properly shotted they are in fact more than sensitive eniough for the job though obvoiusly if I am trotting I don't ususaly cast more than a couple of rod lengths out!

I recommend them especially on fast moving spate rivers in winter for chub and barbel as well as grayling as you are able to boss the flow with them!

Never seem them for sale in this part of the country...I would really appreciate anyone letting me know where I can get some Pelican quills, sound ideal when I am traveling around to different rivers.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

This is my first year of casting and float fishing with a pin , don,t see any anglers in my neck of the wood using one so was in terested in just how far it is possible to cast a pin.

Pins are for trotting not casting,but that said I went through a period of using a pin for evert thing! Why?simply because it was fun!

Was general floatfishing one day (using a 5AAA bodied waggler,14' rod) on a still water when a couple of the lads commented on how far I was casting with the pin.After a bit of speculation I decided to actually "measure " the casting.On return to camp (I was still in the Army then and single) I took my gear over the 30m range and had no problem casting from the firing position to the sand in the butts.So 30m plus for sure.Never felt the need to see what the exact or maximum distance you could do though.

Incidently this wasnt with a true "Wallis" cast either.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

With a 2SSG loafer I can wallis cast about 20 yards. I hardly ever need to on the Kennet but fishing the Eden last weekend at times it was necessary.

Having said that I don’t think distance is the main benefit of the wallis cast, that can probably be achieved by other methods. For me it’s the convenience and speed with which the hook can be re-baited and cast again, once fresh bait is on the hook everything’s in the right place and in the right hands to simply flick out. Much less of a hassle than pulling loops of line from the rings.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I really ought to learn how to Wallis cast (not that I need to cast with a pin very often!). Could someone give me a 15-minute lesson at the Itchen? :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music