Christchurch Harbour catch and release

slitshot

Christchurch harbour catch and release is this the way forward for sea angling ?

Is it better to catch 10 Bass and return them or catch the odd Bass and keep it ?

Catch and release will ultimately be the death knell for angling. What reason to fish if we just put them back? Sensible angling practice of taking what you require for the pot and sticking to the legal minimum sizes limits will have no detrimental effect on stocks and gives you a reason to go on fishing!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Christchurch harbour catch and release is this the way forward for sea angling ?

Is it better to catch 10 Bass and return them or catch the odd Bass and keep it ?

Better to keep the odd one I'd say especially if you like eating bass

C&R will be the thin end of the wedge that will lead to calls to ban angling

Can you guarantee that anyone going angling in Christchurch will catch 10 bass?

Ahhhhhemmmm,

was going to comment, however I'll see if anybody who advocated it originally has the bottle to go first. :D

In the meantime slitshot, enjoy me signature lines. I will also be replying to your mullet comments on another topic. :D

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Catch and release was not the death kneel for Coarse fishing as far as I know,and certain Coarse fish were originaly bred for the table .Christchurch Harbour does not work for me because of the barrage of nets fish have to swim though at the entrance to Chritchurch Harbour and when They leave pray to anyone with a net. But in a Ideal world would you rather catch 10 Bass and return them or one now and again. What I,m really asking is it sport or the pot ?

This has been talked about many times on here.

In my opinion, the people who advocate catch and release fishing only, have absolutely no idea of the bigger picture.

Nor understanding of how angling is seen by the general public.

It leaves anglers wide open of charges of undertaking their hobby, for the sole purpose of putting fish through stress for their own selfish pleasure.

Catch and Release is a dumb concept, as a general rule.

• 2 weeks later...

C&R has its place - just like C&K.

Millions of freshwater fish and fishermen can't be wrong - go and tell the carp fishermen about your C&K advocacy!

You have to get back to why there are arguments about C&R - probably because there aren't as many fish in the sea as there once were.

Once people have C&R fish they get something out of it - something 'else'. You either 'get' that or you don't. People that do get it, want to do it more and should be able to.

Those that C&K can carry on - within the management objectives of the fishery (when we have some for the sea). Trout fisherman can't kill everything they catch for that same reason.

Each to his own.

We the anglers ie, rod and line seem to be the ones now who have to put back what we catch,

I fully agree DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN YOU NEED that does not include to sell, but what about

the by catch fishing boats take and are bound to through back mostly dead by then.

Fish carefully, return under size, and sod em all eat one if you want.

Catch and release was not the death kneel for Coarse fishing as far as I know,and certain Coarse fish were originaly bred for the table .Christchurch Harbour does not work for me because of the barrage of nets fish have to swim though at the entrance to Chritchurch Harbour and when They leave pray to anyone with a net. But in a Ideal world would you rather catch 10 Bass and return them or one now and again. What I,m really asking is it sport or the pot ?

Coarse fishing C+R has only been compulsory since this spring so I doubt there are any figures yet.......how many people have been prosecuted for taking a perch for tea? Is it really that big a crime. Too true, carp were imported and bred for food....you'd be hung drawn and quartered by a load of white van men if you so much as thought of killing a mud pig these days!

"Is it sport or the pot?" Why does it have to be a choice? why not do what most anglers do and fish for sport and take the odd one for the pot?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!