Hello + a little help

Vince

New to fishing beebn at it about 3/4 weeks.

Got hooked watching the TV on discovery channel

I've had a few fish to break my duck and managed a 16lb carp 2 weeks ago on a freinds rod which was a stroke of luck, then had a 2.5lb tench last week in Macclesfield.

Anyway can anyone reccomend places to fish Hertford, I am fishing up at Holwell hyde at the moment which is good but would not mind somewhere else for a visit.

Also I am using a 10 foot match rod and float fishing, how can I work out where the bottom is so I am getting my bait down far enough and not just hanging in the middle of the water( or is it better there!!)

Told you I was new at this

All suggestions greatly recieved

:confused:

Welcome to both a great pasttime and website :)

BTW, you have already beaten my PB carp even though I've been fishing since the early 70's :( As for places to fish, if you look on the Fisheries section of this site, I'm almost certain there's some listed near Hertford :)

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Only just started and already have a 16lb Carp to your name. I've been fishing for 30 years and have not got one that big yet. In my own defence I do not seriously fish for Carp although my club has waters that hold 30lb+ fish. I can't see the point of spending a week at the bank side and catching 1 fish.

Anyway, finding where the bottom is. Buy a plumb weight and with that attached to your hook just move the correctly shotted float up the line till it cocks correctly. You have then found the bottom. Your other alternative is to use a myriad of ledger rigs which are always on the bottom.

As to what depth to fish I always start at the bottom and work up through the water until I find the feeding fish.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

the best way to find the bottem is to use a plummet. They only cost 60p if that and you just but it on the bottem of your line on the hook (your local tackle shop owner will show you how if you ask nicly) and then just through it in if your float goes under your float is to shallow if it lies on the top of the water its to deep and it it is straight up its on the bottem. this is a very breif way of using the plummet and it will take some time to get used to but good luck

sam

Welcome Vince - you've certainly joined the RIGHT BB. Ask us anything and I'm sure there'll be someone with a knowledgeable answer.

As for getting accurate depths try investing in a polaris float (ask your tackle dealer for one). This will 'self lock' at the depth of the water so just cast out with a small bomb wait for the float to cock, tighten the line then reel in. Hey Presto!! the length from the float to the bomb is the depth of the water.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Whoops a daisy. I forgot about the Polaris floats. They are excellent and as Chris says will find the bottom automatically.

One word of caution is to use the correct amount of weight as stated on the floats. The first one I bought was a 28gm 'coz my tackle shop didn't have any smaller. I used a 1/4oz weight and couldn't understand why the damm thing wouldn't cock correctly. I got in touch with the inventor via their website and he explained all. Since then I have used the floats with great success. Nothing is more accurate in getting your bait exactly where you want it. I understand they can only be used on still waters and slow moving rivers.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

Thanks to you all, looks like it's another trip to the tackle shop for me (thought's of wife groaning when she sees the credit card bill!!)

Was up and away again on Sunday morning for another visit to Holwell bagged my first Perch

and a nice bream and a shed load of roach so was a happy bunny :D

Cheers

"I also have problems when plumbing the depth. I know how to use one but i always find it difficult to cast accurately to the same place the float was before"

Dave,

If you just underarm cast the float and plummet, you should be able to get to the same spot every time.

The heavier the plummet the further out you will be able to underarm cast the lot.

Overhead casting will send the plummet in all directions except the way you want it go because the float upsets the balance of the cast!

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.