Peperami

davedave

When fishing with peperami for carp today i had a couple of screaming runs on the bite alarm but no fish on the end.

I was using a piece of peperami about the size of a 10mm pellet, not that big. I was hooking it with a B911 (size 16), and leaving the hookpoint exposed.

Would it be because of the bait i was using which i know can be a pain to strike through, but i was leaving the hookpoint fully exposed, or just bad luck?

thanks

P.S Also has anyone had much luck banding peperami with a bait band which i thought about doing today?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

When fishing with peperami for carp today i had a couple of screaming runs on the bite alarm but no fish on the end.

I was using a piece of peperami about the size of a 10mm pellet, not that big. I was hooking it with a B911 (size 16), and leaving the hookpoint exposed.

Would it be because of the bait i was using which i know can be a pain to strike through, but i was leaving the hookpoint fully exposed, or just bad luck?

thanks

P.S Also has anyone had much luck banding peperami with a bait band which i thought about doing today?

how are you fishing?

i'd hair rig a slightly larger piece or 2 smaller pieces on a size 10. had some nice carp on pepperami and some monster tench as well.

gone

Your hook is too small. You match your hook to the size of your bait, ie single pinkie on a 22 or 20, single maggot on size 20 to 16, double maggot 16 and 14, single sweetcorn 14 and 12 double sweetcorn or square of luncheon meat 12 to 10, lob worm tail size 10, large lob worm size 8 to 4. This is a rough guide and you can experiment. tight lines.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I would agree with the above.

The hair rig would give you more of a chance of connecting with the fish. Also I would head for maybe a size 12 hook instead of 16 on the hair rig.

I am not sure if you can tie hair rigs? But if not let me know what line/hooks/size of bait your after and I will make you a few and send them to you free of charge.

Thanks to the guys on here, I have now mastered making hair rigs... Which is why I have like 20 of them made up for all different occasions.

Would anyone agree its really theraputic making hair rigs??

Or maybe its just me? :lol:

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

IWould anyone agree its really theraputic making hair rigs??

Or maybe its just me? :lol:

Absolutely agree, it's a great way to "lose" yourself for an hour or so......

Our chief weapon is surprise

thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I haven't started hair rigging yet, and until i learn do you think banding it and slipping the hook underneath the band like a pellet would work?? Thanks again

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I haven't started hair rigging yet, and until i learn do you think banding it and slipping the hook underneath the band like a pellet would work?? Thanks again

I used Youtube to get me started. Once you have mastered the knotless knot.... Its really easy from then on... Saying that the knotless knot isn't too difficult either.

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish