Confidence casting feeders

Angly

Although I've returned to fishing, my previous experince didn't include much ledgering work, and so I find I have a problem. I now own a Shimano Hyperloop BX 12' medium feeder rod, rated for 100g casting weight about (3.5oz), which I take to mean total weight of feeder plus feed. I've read somewhere that I shouldn't have problems getting out to 40 yards or so with a rod of this class.

But here's the thing. Even casting lighter all up weights, I'm nervous of snapping the rod, no doubt due to my being used to casting far lighter weights when float fishing. Is it even possible to snap a rod casting the designed weight? Am I being paranoid? I was casting a pellet filled (half damp, half dry) 20g feeder on Tuesday, and getting that the required 25 yards was breaking me out in a sweat! (Stop laughing!). How do I get over this 'anglers block'?

:huh::rolleyes::unsure::(

Geoff

I have a Greys Prodigy 1.7lb Barbel rod which is a lovely light slim rod but is capable of casting 5-6oz of lead/PVA netted feed to the other side of the river (30 yards), however I would still have reservations of giving it 'full wellie' with this amount of weight on; even though people tell me that it will cope. but with 3.5oz leads I would be fairly confident of giving it a bit of wellie.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

With anything more than 2oz on board, a fairly gentle overhead lob should easily go 40 yards without putting undue stress on the rod (so long as your reel spool is correctly filled). Unless you've got a bail arm that's prone to suddenly closing mid-cast (which *can* give some spectacular results), you shouldn't have a problem.

But nobody else can really give you the confidence you need - how about trying a "dry run" on a playing field, with just a 2 or 3oz bomb tied to the end of the line? That would give you a good idea of what you can do.

Dont know if this will help but.

When casting have you ever caught an obsticle behind you ie a tree, fence etc. Did the rod break?

Its purely confidence but most rods will take far more "welly" than you imagine also the stated casting weight will virtually always be below what it can truly take. Imagine the complaints desk if every rod that stated it could cast 3 1/2 oz snapped when casting 3oz?

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Hi

Long range feeder fishing is an art. There are 2 important things, consistent casting accuracy, and accurate feeding with extra bait.

The tip of practising on a playing field is most usefull. When you cast a good distance measure it. Most anglers 60yard casts are nearer 35 in reality.

Of course depending on venue and target species you could always fish the bomb but feed with catapult. You need a good old whopper dropper and you can feed balls of groundbait at 35 40 and even 50 yards depending on size you make them. Drennan do these groundbait long range catapults and there are others with arm rests that can allow longer distances.

Even with the feeder you will really need to catapult aswell depending again on venue and species.

If you can practice feeding and casting to what you find comfortable then you will get the accuracy that is generally more important than the distance.

Give us a clue where and what and can help more

Regards

John

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Glad you can at least see where I'm coming from BoldBear.

DavyR, yup, spool filled to the brim with Sensor, which oddly behaves better than my 2500 size reel filled a little less with Float Fish (which insists on spilling out everywhere at every opportunity!). I have found a 3.5oz lead, and am tempted to do as you say. I have a small park just 5 minutes away from me.

Terry, I'm sure you have a point; I was kind of thinking the same thing.

John it's not really an accuracy or consistency issue, indeed, I spent most of Tuesday (and I fished for 13 hours) fishing the pellet waggler at 25 yards into island margins, catting out half-a dozen pellets every 30 seconds, and it's certainly not venue specific. I'm just nervous of using my feeder rod to its full capabilities.

I think I'm just looking for reassurance that short of hitting my rod into something, however badly (technique wise) I cast a 3.5oz load, my rod will come through unscathed.

:unsure:

Geoff

I don't think I'd try one of the fancy distance techniques the shore anglers do where you start with the rig on the ground, spin around several times and wind up aiming for the far horizon but short of that, you should be fine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Imagine the complaints desk if every rod that stated it could cast 3 1/2 oz snapped when casting 3oz?

I think you're probably right, in general, but I've snapped two cheap beachcasters while pendulum casting their rated weight...

Simple overhead thump shouldn't do any damage.

(Edit: Actually, I think the first time it happened I might have been using 5oz or 6oz on a rod rated for 4oz, but the second time it was 6oz on a 4-6oz rod)

Edited by Steve Walker

Steve, I just had to 'YouTube' the pendulum cast, which seems like a kind of cut down version of what you describe there Newt. Nope, sure won't be doing that, way way too energetic! :) Thanks for the reassurance guys.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Dont know if this will help but.

When casting have you ever caught an obsticle behind you ie a tree, fence etc. Did the rod break?

Its purely confidence but most rods will take far more "welly" than you imagine also the stated casting weight will virtually always be below what it can truly take. Imagine the complaints desk if every rod that stated it could cast 3 1/2 oz snapped when casting 3oz?

That's the most likely way your going to break a rod casting otherwise I think you have to relax a bit and just get used to using more a 'lob' cast when using heavy weights/feeders.

I remember when I first started pike fishing and was very twitchy about casting a mackerel tail and 2oz lead on a 2.5tc rod, just seemed to be way overloaded. Nowadays I'm okay with it and have confidence the rod can take it, it's just a case of learning to cast by gently/smoothly loading up the rod and putting it out there.