WHAT A DAY!

Janet

Well, what a day it's been!

It started off at a reasonable hour for a change...there are some reasons for liking these slightly darker mornings! At least I got chance for a bit of a lie-in before I was dragged kicking and screaming up to my club lake for a fishing session...I didn't want to go, honest....they MAKE me! (well, that's my excuse for neglecting the housework!)

After yesterday's rain and wind the lake was surprisingly calm, although there was a bitter chill and frost on the ground. It took me about half an hour of walking round to make my mind up where I wanted to fish...was I going to go where I thought the fish would be, or should I go where I'd be in the sun and the warmth?

Decisions, decisions! I particularly fancied my very favourite peg 6, but that was going to be totally in the shade and I really didn't want to shiver all day...in the end I opted for peg 8, mainly because it's the largest and I knew the sun would reach there eventually. Pegs 11 & 12 were looking good, basking in the sunshine, but I didn't do very well on peg 12 last week.

Even with the rubber matting we've put down, the peg was still treacherous with a layer of hoar frost, so I kept my chair well back from the water and laid my fishing towel on the peg so I had something to stand on safely whilst I got myself set up. Paul opted for peg 2, Ashley for peg 3, and Ray set up next door but one to me.

After eventually getting myself sorted, using my favourite Shimano telescopic rod, I was finally ready to make my first cast...I was pleased to see that my float was perfectly shotted (I know this peg like the back of my hand!) and it came to rest just at the side of the lilies as I'd planned. That's when it all went t**ts up! My float had no sooner settled than it was away, skiting sideways...my reel clutch was set fine, but there was absolutely nowt I could do as some beastie gave me the runaround and snapped my hooklink. Pah! Whatever it was, there was no stopping it...

There was nothing for it but to tackle up again and grin and bear it, only to have it happen a second time in quick succession! This wasn't good....I checked my tackle, and my mainline was fine...I played the fish for several minutes before it made a final lunge for freedom...it seemed to be tiring and I had it in clear water, but a sudden lunge for the lilies was all it needed to snap me...gutted doesn't begin to describe the way I felt! I knew that because of the chill it was going to be a slow day, but to lose two good fish right at the start was a bit of a downer to say the least...

Oh well...onwards and upwards...

I'm pleased to say that the next time my float went under, I was ready for it...WOW! I had a perch...all three inches of it! No complaints from me though, as perch are my favourites. There have been a few big specimens seen cruising in small shoals on the lake, but nobody has ever managed to land one of these...until today...but you'll have to read on for that!

That was closely followed by a rather nice rudd, in absolutely pristine condition. Only about 1/2 lb, if that, but very welcome all the same. Let's face it, on a day like today, any fish would be good! This is a lovely lake, but not the place to come if you're after huge carp or specimen fish. We do have some biggies, but they are the stuff of legends...we know they're in here, but their visits to the bank are pretty rare...

After baiting up and leaving my swim for a while to take my camera for a walk and make a much needed fresh brew, it was good to come back and catch this little beastie...it led me a right song and dance, but eventually I managed to net it. A rather nice mirror of about 4lbs, but a rather out of focus picture! I do rather better at taking pictures of other folks fish than I do my own!

5111574576_f54d79d2b6.jpg

After another smallish perch and a decent rudd, I decided to knock the fishing on the head and spend the rest of the day wandering round with my camera instead. I was just too cold and uncomfortable, the fish weren't biting and I've long since decided that I stop fishing when I can't feel my extremeties. It's supposed to be fun, not an endurance test. I get almost as much pleasure watching other people fishing and catching than I do myself...

On this occasion, I'm very pleased that I was ready with my camera, as our lake had a surprise in store...

Whilst wandering round, I'd taken a few shots of the guys fishing…here’s Ashley waiting for a bite…

5111674992_ab83958286.jpg

….and waiting…

5111667730_6b42d0b97b.jpg

Suddenly I heard a shout from Ashley's peg that he had a fish on...and what a fish it turned out to be...

It’s in the net…

5110982561_7ce4c367a5.jpg

What the heck is it?

5110984967_bedaefc239.jpg

5111023853_eb1fb471b7.jpg

He waited with bated breath for the weighing…

5111598870_af8c6c6115.jpg

It would be interesting to hear your guesses as to the weight....

...to be continued....!

Janet

Well, what a day it's been!

It started off at a reasonable hour for a change...there are some reasons for liking these slightly darker mornings! At least I got chance for a bit of a lie-in before I was dragged kicking and screaming up to my club lake for a fishing session...I didn't want to go, honest....they MAKE me! (well, that's my excuse for neglecting the housework!)

After yesterday's rain and wind the lake was surprisingly calm, although there was a bitter chill and frost on the ground. It took me about half an hour of walking round to make my mind up where I wanted to fish...was I going to go where I thought the fish would be, or should I go where I'd be in the sun and the warmth?

Decisions, decisions! I particularly fancied my very favourite peg 6, but that was going to be totally in the shade and I really didn't want to shiver all day...in the end I opted for peg 8, mainly because it's the largest and I knew the sun would reach there eventually. Pegs 11 & 12 were looking good, basking in the sunshine, but I didn't do very well on peg 12 last week.

Even with the rubber matting we've put down, the peg was still treacherous with a layer of hoar frost, so I kept my chair well back from the water and laid my fishing towel on the peg so I had something to stand on safely whilst I got myself set up. Paul opted for peg 2, Ashley for peg 3, and Ray set up next door but one to me.

After eventually getting myself sorted, using my favourite Shimano telescopic rod, I was finally ready to make my first cast...I was pleased to see that my float was perfectly shotted (I know this peg like the back of my hand!) and it came to rest just at the side of the lilies as I'd planned. That's when it all went t**ts up! My float had no sooner settled than it was away, skiting sideways...my reel clutch was set fine, but there was absolutely nowt I could do as some beastie gave me the runaround and snapped my hooklink. Pah! Whatever it was, there was no stopping it...

There was nothing for it but to tackle up again and grin and bear it, only to have it happen a second time in quick succession! This wasn't good....I checked my tackle, and my mainline was fine...I played the fish for several minutes before it made a final lunge for freedom...it seemed to be tiring and I had it in clear water, but a sudden lunge for the lilies was all it needed to snap me...gutted doesn't begin to describe the way I felt! I knew that because of the chill it was going to be a slow day, but to lose two good fish right at the start was a bit of a downer to say the least...

Oh well...onwards and upwards...

I'm pleased to say that the next time my float went under, I was ready for it...WOW! I had a perch...all three inches of it! No complaints from me though, as perch are my favourites. There have been a few big specimens seen cruising in small shoals on the lake, but nobody has ever managed to land one of these...until today...but you'll have to read on for that!

That was closely followed by a rather nice rudd, in absolutely pristine condition. Only about 1/2 lb, if that, but very welcome all the same. Let's face it, on a day like today, any fish would be good! This is a lovely lake, but not the place to come if you're after huge carp or specimen fish. We do have some biggies, but they are the stuff of legends...we know they're in here, but their visits to the bank are pretty rare...

After baiting up and leaving my swim for a while to take my camera for a walk and make a much needed fresh brew, it was good to come back and catch this little beastie...it led me a right song and dance, but eventually I managed to net it. A rather nice mirror of about 4lbs, but a rather out of focus picture! I do rather better at taking pictures of other folks fish than I do my own!

5111574576_f54d79d2b6.jpg

After another smallish perch and a decent rudd, I decided to knock the fishing on the head and spend the rest of the day wandering round with my camera instead. I was just too cold and uncomfortable, the fish weren't biting and I've long since decided that I stop fishing when I can't feel my extremeties. It's supposed to be fun, not an endurance test. I get almost as much pleasure watching other people fishing and catching than I do myself...

On this occasion, I'm very pleased that I was ready with my camera, as our lake had a surprise in store...

Whilst wandering round, I'd taken a few shots of the guys fishing…here’s Ashley waiting for a bite…

5111674992_ab83958286.jpg

….and waiting…

5111667730_6b42d0b97b.jpg

Suddenly I heard a shout from Ashley's peg that he had a fish on...and what a fish it turned out to be...

It’s in the net…

5110982561_7ce4c367a5.jpg

What the heck is it?

5110984967_bedaefc239.jpg

5111023853_eb1fb471b7.jpg

He waited with bated breath for the weighing…

5111598870_af8c6c6115.jpg

It would be interesting to hear your guesses as to the weight....

...to be continued....!

Janet

3lb 6oz

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

I am going to say 3 pounds 5 ounces. By the way Janet do you now know what a Chuffing retweet is? I mean Chuffing is very mild for twitter. most people i follow are not that genteel. mind you i follow lots of West Ham fans like myself so my bit of twitter was a little strong in the language dept this weekend. :P

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Great report as usual Janet.

The perch? Well in the net it looks very big but I've been fallen for that one before so I'll go for 2lb 1oz (still big).

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Peter...yes, I've finally figured out what a chuffing retweet is...it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot, so I doubt I'll be using Twitter again...likewise Facebook...

3lb 6oz & 3lb 5oz? Pretty close together for both your guesses, but not quite on the money...

Whatever, this was an absolutely amazing fish for our lake, which has never thrown up anything much more than about half a pound perch before...we were all over the moon with it! It just proves that the rumours about large perch shoaling up were not just rumours, and there are indeed some decent fish lurking...

5111616568_1ec6d923df.jpg

Someone really ought to tell him to lose that smile...it really isn't the done thing in angling circles to look pleased with your catch!

5111592878_825401cce2.jpg

I wish I'd been the one to catch it!

Janet

Rusty, you're close...

It looked absolutely huge in the net! Indeed, for our lake, it was an absolute monster, and came completely out of the blue...hooked on home made paste of all things! It's safe to say that this fish has never been caught before.

It's by no means a specimen fish from most waters, but from our lake it really is a fish to remember! Every angler on the lake came to have a look before it was safely released...our perch don't usually get beyond the nuisance stage...this was the exception!

I'd been fishing worms and maggots all day in the hope of a perch and then he goes and gets this?

I wonder why I bother sometimes! :wallbash:

Janet

A very good perch there! And a nice smile to go with it.

It doesn't look like a 3 but I would say it's over 2... probably somewhere around 2.4?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music