3 favourite waters

chesters1

An impossible thing, to narrow it down to just 3, but I will try.

1)Lake Michigan. A freshwater sea, 22,000 Squre Miles, Simply indescribable to those not from these parts. Best coldwater fishery on the planet. Home of the mysterious 70lb predatory carp!

2)3 way tie. Muskegon, Manistee, Pere Marquete Rivers. All 3 had runs of steelhead in the 50,0000 fish range this spring, and Chinook salmon runs of over 100,000! I had days where I hooked over 100 salmon in a day, and my arms and shoulders hurt for 3 months from the fishing. Worth every minute.

Wildlife abounds around all 3 rivers, and sightings of eagles, deer, bear, otters, and many more are commonplace. Even had to share a gravel bar with a black bear this fall on the Manistee, he got the choice of prime spot:-)

All 3 rivers have large deltas and bays where they exit into Lake Michigan, making for some interstinting "jungle" fishing similar to magrove swamps. The "magroves" are willow, but the effect is nearly the same.

3)Lake Superior. A freshwater Ocean, stunning, hauntingly beautifull. You can watch 40lb lake trout cruising the bottom in 50 feet of water, such is the clarity, and listen to wolves howling to you from the towering black granite cliffs. The fishing is superb, but almost secondary to the experience of raw untamed wilderness.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd

Last but no means least,East Lancs Papermill

lodge, not more than a couple of miles from my house, I was Taught to fish the pole on here by

my Son Christopher, Good Quality fish nice Surroundings to say it is in a builtup area,also

found some good mates here, alas it could be built on in the very near future the Mill has closed down and, the ever present builders are

hovering like vultures, very sad

david

David send me some details – Who owns it, what club (if any) leases it, which council, local planning officers name would be good, what builder, State of local angling amenities.

Boy do I love taking on the builders over these issues!

Best three

R. Dane

Marbury Mere

Lake Baikal Siberia

phil h.

my favourite 3 would have to be

1-river severn because caught my first,last and biggest barbel from there plus there is so much variety of fishing.Everything from stickfloating to stalking

2-river Dane beacause i find it a verry chalenging river to fish with it being verry shallow and it is ideal for roaming, which is my favourite type of fishing.

3-this one is a toss up between halsnead park and whitley pool because halsnead park is where i learned to fish(and still do),and whitley pool is where ive had some of my best days fishing.Both these waterts hold some lovely tench but you never know what your going to catch in either

Regards Paul Mc

1. Bolingey, Cornwall. First fished it 12 years ago, cracking place.

2. Neath canal, cos I live near it and it holds loads of tench and rudd.

3. Any other water that holds fish of any size, cos I don't care what I catch as long as I am fishing.

Cracking Thred Chesters1!

1) River Teme.

Have not fished it for some years now, but have lovely memories of fishing for Barbel in the gorgious hop fields and the sun always seemed to be shine! Well it did in my memories.

2) River Severn

It just has so much to offer!

3)The jam factory (Lower Broadheath.

Many will disagree with this choice, as it is a commercial fishery, but i just enjoy catching fish and you can certainly do that here.

Just an aside, having read Nightwings discription of Lake Superior, wouldn't you just love to experience it?

For that matter any of the waters our American friends discribed?

trouble with big lakes ,how would you know what the "in" boily was or what was the "hot" swim ,you would spend all day looking for a whitness for that special catch :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The ribble

So much variety and some magnificent Chub.

The dane

I wish I had this place all to myself just one day a week.

The severn.

Had a bad run this season but too many child-hood memories.

(I nearly went for the Royalty. I fished it twice on holiday last year. I'm sure some will say not the place it used to be but there is a magic about the place).

Good fishing

D

Just joined you chaps and seems likje a good way to start to post my 3 favourite waters.

1). Islamorada, Florida Keys.

This time last year I was there for the first time and landed Tarpon up to 150lbs, Stingray to 90lbs and numerous sharks. All thanks to John Rawle, Essex Boy and skipper extrordinaire.

2). River Tees at Barnard Castle. Caught my first fish, small brown trout, on ledgered maggots at age 7 and that's what started it all.

3). River Beult at Hunton where I have many happy summer hours catching superb Tench and Bream amongst others.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!