Cheap pins !

Tigger

well myself and Gary (bbamboo) were out on the tees today and I put my reel through its paces, Gary's has not turned up as yet, but both of us were impressed by how it handles and the overall construction and performance of it. It puts a lot more expensive centrepins I own to shame in some places, not many negative points with it at all and for £36 definately worth every penny.

I gave it a good old going with 51 Grayling and a chub with endless fish bumped off. See my blog for full details, as Im not writing it all out again!...lol :thumbs:

George's Blog

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice... You have my sympathy with the typing...hehehe

Sounds like a great session I must now go and try to read your blog.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Thanks again guys. I've been after a Okuma (for a decent price) on ebay after advice from a number of you on the forum. Spotted this post and ordered one straight away. Arrived today. Looks nice and spins for about 2 and a half mins. When spinning I can feel a bump every now and them. Is that usual for a pin with bearings. Almost feel like ball bearings coming together. Alan is this what you meant about balance. I have had the opportunity to order the TFgear one for £69 in the past and you guys persueded me to hold on. Can't complain at £30. My first proper pin. Can't wait to try it.

Regards

Rob

Hello Rob what I meant by being a tad out of balance is just that there is a small heavy spot on the spool at a point central between the handles I estimate it weighs about as much as a AA shot I can eliminate the problem either by grinding away some of the metal around that point or getting a tiny bit of stick on lead and counterbalancing it on the other side and it is the latter option that I will go with first.

As I said this is not a serious problem as if you fish with the handles in the traditional position ie the handles pointing skywards then a single no 6 shot is all the weight needed to start the spool turning which is good.

There is no obvious excess metal at any point on the spool so I fail to understand why it has this heavy spot but it is there!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

having just sat down with mine and taken the spool off i found nothing amis and decided 2 put it back on. I left the centre screw ever so slightly looser than it was and gave the spool a spin. It went for 2 minutes 6 seconds so im pretty sure my problem was that the screw was too tight.

I did however notice that the spool seems unbalanced. I could feel the reel moving around in my hand as the spool turned. Shame but for 36 pounds i dont expect perfection. Still very happy overall.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Hello Rob what I meant by being a tad out of balance is just that there is a small heavy spot on the spool at a point central between the handles I estimate it weighs about as much as a AA shot I can eliminate the problem either by grinding away some of the metal around that point or getting a tiny bit of stick on lead and counterbalancing it on the other side and it is the latter option that I will go with first.

As I said this is not a serious problem as if you fish with the handles in the traditional position ie the handles pointing skywards then a single no 6 shot is all the weight needed to start the spool turning which is good.

There is no obvious excess metal at any point on the spool so I fail to understand why it has this heavy spot but it is there!

Thanks Alan

Mine seems to settle with one of the wooden handles down when stood vertically. If though thats the heavy spot. Still I don't think that will make any difference to my fishing. I am still abit confused with taking it apart. Removed the centre screw but the spool won't come off. Don't want to force it so left it for now. Can't be much wrong as it spins for nearly 2 and a half minutes.

Thanks again

Rob

I am still abit confused with taking it apart. Removed the centre screw but the spool won't come off. Don't want to force it so left it for now.

Rob

Rob,

after you have taken the screw off, apply some pressure to the spool with your hands and pull & it will slide off, mine was quite tight to start with then it slid off no problem you will have the shroud, the spool & the bearings when it comes off, I have done a Step by step for a friend with pictures as he is a novice, if you want send me your email & I will send it to you?

George

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/