That sturgeon

fenboy

Thanks to Chris Plumb for filling me in on the sturgeon. It all fits in - the captor dying in 1972. But I wonder if there is any information on how he caught the fish. To be using the reel that's in my possession, I assume he would have been worming or spinning. If was fly fishing then that most definitely not the reel used!

Any information would be gladly recived.

Incidentally, is anyone is interested in seeing a pic of the reel, I will get my other half to snap it on her digital camera and attempt to post it here. But bearing in mind that I'm new to this, it might take a few attempts.

Thanks again, Chris.

Fenboy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fenboy,

I missed the earlier threads so I may be repeating some info that has been supplied, however:

There is an account of the capture of this sturgeon in 'Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life' by Jeremy Paxman ISBN 0-14-023741-0 pages 318 to 323.

It maybe worth contacting Paxman at the BBC I am certain he will be fascinated with the reel since the story is so good.

Good luck

Phil

The piece in Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life is the same piece of writing as in the link I posted originally - and this link too. Paxman gives the original author as Byron Rogers in the Sunday Telegraph.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Chris, thanks for that. Do you - or anybody else out there - know how I can attach digital photos to a message? My partner, the lovely Charmaine, has just taken a few photos of the reel, which I will post.... as soon as I know how to do it!

Isn't it infuriating how 10-year-olds understand computers, emails, websites and mobile phones so much better than codgers like me?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Fenboy

Go to http://www.go-fishing.org/upload/ where you will see this screen

Posted Image

Pressing the 'upload' button will give you a screen like this (but with your picture name)

Posted Image

Just make sure there are no spaces in the name of the picture you want to use.

[ 07. January 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Have just re-read the account of Alec Allen's big sturgeon in Jeremy Paxman's book.

With the hindsight of having caught some big sturgeon in the Fraser River earlier this year, I can say the story rings absolutely true, and as an angling feat, Alec Allen's capture was awesome.

Charge your glass and drink to this great angling accomplishment.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Okay, so I'm the stupidest computer illiterate on the planet. I haven't been eyeing the watch, but I'd estimate I've spent two hours trying to post two wonderful pix of the record sturgeon on the web. It's not happening.

Just a suggestion: can I please email them to somebody with a lot more computer literacy than me, who can post them on my behalf?

The first person to offer their services gets a free day's fishing on my local river for perch, chub, pike or whatever. Even enormous carp if you REALLY must.

I am suitably humbled. Honest.

Fenboy

And there's more...

Stupid? Not half.

New Year's Resolution: must check "Preview Post" before posting.

Why?

For "record sturgeon pics" read "record sturgeon REEL pics"

Sorry to mislead. Unintentional. I hate computers more than team match anglers. ONLY JOKING.

Fenboy

(edit note from Newt to Nugg -

Wasn't trying to step on you with my offer to fenboy. Due to the time I assumed you'd gone to bed and thought if fenboy was still up I could do the deed for him.)

[ 08. January 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]