The best UK roach river

tiddlertamer

Interesting subject tt. I hope you get a few bites.

I'm remarkably under traveled in terms of fishing across the UK so I couldn't really even cast aspersions as to which river could claim the no 1 spot. I do however know a little about the rivers of Norfolk and North suffolk Broads areas, enough to know that the chances of 2lb or larger Roach in the non-tidals are extremely dire. The tidal rivers are a good bit brighter.

I'll start with the one most people know about.

A big thank you to Dant for one of the most comprehensive replies I've read on this site. Really interesting stuff and a great insight into Roach fishing in Norfolk and the north Suffolk broads.

What about other areas of the UK everybody else - is the roach thriving or in decline in Britain's rivers?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote

A big thank you to Dant for one of the most comprehensive replies I've read on this site. Really interesting stuff and a great insight into Roach fishing in Norfolk and the north Suffolk broads.

What about other areas of the UK everybody else - is the roach thriving or in decline in Britain's rivers?

No worries tt. Mind you there's some round these parts that have forgotten twice as much as I know about the rivers I've spent my life fishing.

I grew up in Cantley which is on the deep, quick and lower tidal River Yare. There used to be an old guy, long since passed away now I should think, that fished the river where all us kids used to lark about.

The tackle he used then appeared to us lot as museum pieces and he didn't think too much of us lot but you could lay money on when he would turn up at a certain state of the tide.

He used to fish for no more than a couple of hours and would always have the crowd of kids after half an hour or so as he caught great big Roach and the odd Bream one after the other. Then without warning he'd pack up hop on his bike and pedal along the banks for anything up to 2 miles (we used to follow him) in either direction dependent on which way the tide was going and then repeat the one after the other trick.

It was amazing to watch as a kid. After my constant questioning he finally sat me down and explained how he'd learnt the movements of the fish up and down the river and could match it up with the tide table, bearing in mind the tide time was only given for Great Yarmouth 15 miles odd downstream at the mouth of the estuary.

If only I could remember now exactly what he told me then.

I've attached a pic + text, of times when the upper River Waveney still held plentiful big Roach.

A good few fish come out of the n-tidal Winter holding areas in the deep water through Bungay town centre, fish upto 1lb1/2 maximum but I'd be very surprised if the whole 20 miles upstream was electro netted and produced a 2lb+ fish, I do believe it to be quite that dire. Gladly as Peter Waller has mentioned things are in a healthier state in the tidal river. The Chub in the Waveney run out of steam around Beccles which is only 3 or 4 miles downriver from the tidal limit. Fewer Chub - bigger Roach isn't a coincidence I don't think.

Has anybody else noticed a down turn in the Roach with a recent strong Chub population?

post-11042-1212279815_thumb.jpg

post-11042-1212279827_thumb.jpg

Dante, next time you are up that way, and bugger finesse, have a go around Haddiscoe swing bridge. No guarantees but you might have a pleasant surprise!

I think I will Peter. The Waveney around Haddiscoe is much like the parts of the Yare and Bure I used to fish more often. You never know what's going to turn up in those deep fast tidals.

[quote

No worries tt. Mind you there's some round these parts that have forgotten twice as much as I know about the rivers I've spent my life fishing.

I grew up in Cantley which is on the deep, quick and lower tidal River Yare. There used to be an old guy, long since passed away now I should think, that fished the river where all us kids used to lark about.

The tackle he used then appeared to us lot as museum pieces and he didn't think too much of us lot but you could lay money on when he would turn up at a certain state of the tide.

He used to fish for no more than a couple of hours and would always have the crowd of kids after half an hour or so as he caught great big Roach and the odd Bream one after the other. Then without warning he'd pack up hop on his bike and pedal along the banks for anything up to 2 miles (we used to follow him) in either direction dependent on which way the tide was going and then repeat the one after the other trick.

It was amazing to watch as a kid. After my constant questioning he finally sat me down and explained how he'd learnt the movements of the fish up and down the river and could match it up with the tide table, bearing in mind the tide time was only given for Great Yarmouth 15 miles odd downstream at the mouth of the estuary.

If only I could remember now exactly what he told me then.

I've attached a pic + text, of times when the upper River Waveney still held plentiful big Roach.

A good few fish come out of the n-tidal Winter holding areas in the deep water through Bungay town centre, fish upto 1lb1/2 maximum but I'd be very surprised if the whole 20 miles upstream was electro netted and produced a 2lb+ fish, I do believe it to be quite that dire. Gladly as Peter Waller has mentioned things are in a healthier state in the tidal river. The Chub in the Waveney run out of steam around Beccles which is only 3 or 4 miles downriver from the tidal limit. Fewer Chub - bigger Roach isn't a coincidence I don't think.

Has anybody else noticed a down turn in the Roach with a recent strong Chub population?

Dant, is that you in the picture

I know two small upper stretches of the River Lea where my friends and I have had a few Roach above 1.75lb up to 2lb 5oz over the last couple of seasons. These places are kept close to our hearts otherwise they could very quickly be lost.

One of my clubs has recorded Roach to over 3lb caught in the upper stretches of the Great Ouse last season; caught by some anglers who regularly catch roach over 2lb but understandably the actual locations (which may change from time to time) are kept very close to their hearts.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I'm looking forward to some roach fishing this season - the floods ruined it last year.

The Thames here, I'm sure, holds some enormous roach, but location (and the fact no-one really fished it and has any info) is the problem. They really could be anywhere. If I was going for a big (2lb+) roach, I'd bide my time until the autumn/winter, and then book some days at Timsbury on the Test. Not easy, but at least you know they're there, somewhere.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hello tincatinca.

Maybe I should of been clearer in my post. It's not me unfortunately, I was -2 years old in 1973!!..

Thanks Dant. The reason for asking is that one of the photos showed a young Dave Gladwell who I recently met after winning one ofd his rods on e-bay. Dave was a cracking man who had an immense knowledge of the Waveney valley area and I am led to believe was one of the first NFA coaches as well as being the retired president of the Bungay Cherry tree angling club. I have attatched a link of same which makes some very interesting nostalgic reading if you scroll through the site in fact you will find the same photo.

http://www.bctac.co.uk/Membership%20page.htm

Thanks Dant. The reason for asking is that one of the photos showed a young Dave Gladwell who I recently met after winning one ofd his rods on e-bay. Dave was a cracking man who had an immense knowledge of the Waveney valley area and I am led to believe was one of the first NFA coaches as well as being the retired president of the Bungay Cherry tree angling club. I have attatched a link of same which makes some very interesting nostalgic reading if you scroll through the site in fact you will find the same photo.

http://www.bctac.co.uk/Membership%20page.htm

Hello tinca...

I'm a member of Bungay Cherry Tree And have been for about the last 10 years or more. Dave Gladwell used to be the president, you're right. He now runs Earsham Angling Club which is pretty much a syndicate, they have just the one water, a bloody great gravel pit of 40 acres odd. The mind baffles as to whats in there. He's seems a nice fella and he is probably more informed about the Waveney Valley than anyone else.. The site's where I pinced the photo from..

Dan - I have noticed loads of small Chub around Beccles this winter but also loads of Roach too, although only one of mine made it as far as a pound. The stretch down to the swing bridge is an easy paddle by kayak too, easy launching under the big bridge too. All I ever got under the bridge as a kid (I'm a Haddiscoe boy) were eels but I was told that in the sixties it was a fantastic bream spot. Sometimes seen prawns/shrimps up there and mullet are not unheard of either.

I also loved your post - absolutely top notch.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.