Luncheon Meat

Vince

I was fishing last night with Luncheon meat and sweetcorn, but my Lunny was just so soggy.

It was impossible to get on the hook without splitting it.

Anyone out there have a best brand or something the one I was using was "Princes" and I ended up lobbing the whole lot into the water in the end in frustration.

Two tiny roach stopped me from blanking thankfully!!

Try the Boosted Meat by Van Den Ende. Expensive but brilliant. Good to hook and has a powerfull aroma.

Paul

Best of all, try frying it. You can add things like curry powder, bisto, garlic etc. while doing so. The skin takes on a rubbery skin, which makes it stay on the hook much better. Down side is that obviously this will need to be done before you go fishing, but it does give you the chance to try lots of different flavours.

The other thing to try is not to try hooking one large cube. Instead, cut the cube into several thinner pieces and hook each one separately, then slide them down on top of one another, so you get effectively a cube made out of three or four pieces. Apart from being easier to hook it also gives a bigger surface area for the flavour to escape.

Have you tried "Hair rig" Tie the same as normal but on the hair put a piece of plastic tubing the size of meat you require. Because of the tube, the meat stays on. The line dosn't cut through the meat. I've used it with great success.

Hope this helps.

Princes is crap for the summer time and not much better in winter.

Lots of brands seem to have disappeared from the shops over the last few years.

Some that I have used which may be available in your area are Tudor Queen,Tulip,Celebrity and Spar own brand.

A good texture for all conditions is those horseshoe shaped ones made by Mattesons and also sold as own brands by most supermarkets.These are also available as garlic sausage.

If you want something really hard for hair rigging try Pepperami.

Cheers Guys

I had a great session after the advice on frying it, bagged a nice lot of Roach and some good Bream and a nice 4lb Tench (PB!!)

Although blanked at Holwell Court (Herts) yesterday!!!