Bite Indication

Elton

Here you go, ladies and gents - let's see some good answers to help this angler:

quote:

Being fairly new to fishing, I was wondering wether you could advice me on a particular bite indicator system. I've been fishing a pit with a lead with some success, watching the line for takes but I'm missing more than I'm hitting. I was told to use a monkey climber system but don't seem to be able to get hold of one. Someone also said fox do some great bobbins? Are there any other techniques you could advise me on?

I look forward to here from you soon.

Much Appreciated.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can go wrong with Solar bobbins they do a pack with two in to get you started.

i have added chunky chains and stainless ball clips just to make them a bit more robust and add some weight.I found the braided cord a bit suspect and with the chunky chain it will always allow the line to ping out no matter how tight to the clip.The Solar ones have a slot for an isotope or night light (nice to look at in the dark and good to indicate which way the fish is running) :D

Also the Fox swingers are very versatile and excellent for pike fishing as well as carp fishing..in fact i will probably get some when i go piking later on in the year..the good thing with the Fox ones is the feature enabling you to alter the tension on the line via a sliding weight and they are also very sturdy.

i have used a cork, a paper clip and a small leger weight before and that works just as well.

They are my favourites that i have looked at.

Good luck i'm sure you will find this site more than informative as well as unbiased regarding your questions.

:D

John "The Block" Westley

cut a piece of polystyrene to just fit in the end ring of your rod, cut a fine slit to the middle of it, thread your line through this after you've cast in and tightened up.

Crush up a piece of tim foil and have this hanging between your reel and the polystyrene,

You can fish with the bailarm off if you are expecting big fish, when the fish takes the foil lifts and the line make a noise going through the polystyrene, when you strike both the foil and the polystyrene tend to come off.

Not as flash as your electronic indicators but cheap and fun to use.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

John 'BLOCK':

I don't think you can go wrong with Solar bobbins they do a pack with two in to get you started.

i have added chunky chains and stainless ball clips just to make them a bit more robust and add some weight.I found the braided cord a bit suspect and with the chunky chain it will always allow the line to ping out no matter how tight to the clip.The Solar ones have a slot for an isotope or night light (nice to look at in the dark and good to indicate which way the fish is running)   :D  

Also the Fox swingers are very versatile and excellent for pike fishing as well as carp fishing..in fact i will probably get some when i go piking later on in the year..the good thing with the Fox ones is the feature enabling you to alter the tension on the line via a sliding weight and they are also very sturdy.

i have used a cork, a paper clip and a small leger weight before and that works just as well.

Good luck i'm sure you will find this site more than informative as well as unbiased regarding your questions.

John 'BLOCK':

i have added chunky chains and stainless ball clips just to make them a bit more robust and add some weight.I found the braided cord a bit suspect and with the chunky chain it will always allow the line to ping out no matter how tight to the clip.The Solar ones have a slot for an isotope or night light (nice to look at in the dark and good to indicate which way the fish is running)   :D  

I take it I won't need an electronic bite indicator? Does it just connect onto the line between the reel and the first eye on my rod?

smithy:

I'm a bit new to these forum things? Bear with the idiot. Thanks for the advice so far...keep it comin!  

Smithy,

Welcome aboard. Don't worry about 'mistakes' when posting. Some people have been posting for years and still do the same :D

What fish are you after? That will have quite a bearing on what you should/could use.

I'm sure that there will be numerous different options on this thread by tonight :)

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I''ve been catching Tench and small carp on sweetcorn using a lead and a sharp eye on loose line flying out of my reel! I've tried foil on my line but would rather attach a bobbin of some sort. I'm interested in seeing what other anglers use. Ta. :P

Its old but works.

Carp indicator

Cast out, set line etc,open bail arm, place 2p on the spool line shoots off when crap takes bait, 2p drops onto tin lid. cool sound when 15 of you all catch at the same time Steel band Noise .

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

How to make a monkey climber,

1. Get a piece of dowel about 20 cm long and fix it to a piece of board large enugh so that the dowl can stand up vertically at 90 degrees to the board and not topple over.

2. Get a piece of plastic pipe just larger than the dowel, cut a piece 1mm thick out of the pipe from 1 end to 1/4 of the way down, clip the line through this and slide it over the dowel, when a fish bites the plastic rises (or drops..so set it mid way), when you strike the plastic flies off, so use a bright coloured plastic so you can find it.

For delicate bites use light plastic, for windy conditions/serious bites try a piece of heavier pipe or perhaps metal.

Personally, on my rod I attach a sidewinder, it's like a quiver tip but located down the rod, the line feeds through this.

A quiver tip rod is also an obvious alternative form of indicator or use a float.

A beginners book on fishing would be very helpfull to you at this stage.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY