Quivertiiping in wind

dave_H1

maybe a larger target board

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've found the Polaris Sidewinder system works well in the wind. About a tenner gets you 3 quivertips of various sensitivities and a clip which is used to attach one about half way along the rod - the line can then be passed through this. This enables the rod tip to be sunk getting rid of the wind problem and you watch the sidewinder tip for bites. You lose a bit of the sensitivity of the normal tip but its infinitely easier than trying to see bites in the wind.

I use a little home made device that's a bit difficult to describe.

It screws into a bankstick to form a right angle, along which the quiver tip slides if there's a bite.

It's positioned along the angle of the line, so that the quiver tip rests upon it, holding the tip steady.

When a bite pulls it along, because of the angle, the tip soon looses contact, offering no resistance to the fish.

A target board is also useful to shelter the tip from wind gusts.

If all else fails, try placing the target board so that it is submerged, and so is the quivertip.

All you have to worry about then is the waves!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

You dont need to use a hevier ledger but you need to keep your rod low and possibly use a hevier tip. Is it the wind thats making it difficult for you to spot bites or is it the waves created by the wind which are movingthe tip? If its actually the wind then keeping your rod low will solve the problem. If its waves moving the tip then if its moving it by more than say an inch then change to a hevier tip, other than that you just have to get used to the rythm of the tip movement and then watch for anything out of the ordinary, ie the tip moving faster, further, jagging, dropping back, moving round and then holding stationary etc, it really is just a case of practiseing and gaining experiance at tip fishing. Somthing I read a while back (and have since put into practise) by Maver barnesly blacks and england international Dennis white, was as follows, Strike at any movement of the tip, (presuming the winds not moving the tip) even the smallest movement often results in fish well hooked, i have had people watch me cath skimmers on the ancholme on the feeder and swear that the tip didnt even move but i come back with a fish! this is especially true when fishing for bream or skimmers, too many people wait for the tip to pull right round.

[ 12 June 2002, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Mally ]

One more tip, especially if your fishing for bream/skimmers or for anything at distance, i would invest in some braided main line, i'm using drennen feeder braid at the moment an its good, 8lbs breaking strain and around £10 a spool. Sounds expensive but when you consider it will last indefinately it actually works out cheaper. My last lot lasted about 4 years! Also i would highly recommend drennen carbon feeder hooks, i use them for all of my feeder fishing, Both of these things will put more fish in you net.

Why not take 3 banksticks and attach a length of material to make a mini wind-break.It is light and easy to carry because it simply rolls up.Not only this but you have the advantage of being able to adjust to suit changing wind directions without changing the position of your rod/rest set up.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...