Crayfish As Bait

davidP

I have noticed in a couple of threads people suggesting that whilst the UK native crayfish cannot be used as bait it was OK to use the signal crayfish.

Whilst looking through the fishing byelaws on the Environment Agency web site however I came across the following :-

Byelaw 3 Use of Crayfish as Bait

Any person who in fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels, uses as bait crayfish of any species whether alive or dead, or parts thereof, shall be guilty of an offence.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

That's what you might call black and white...don't think anyone could misinterpret that!

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thinking behind this is to prevent the spread of disease to the indiginous population. You can get a licence to catch signals with a trap (it's free!!) and all Siganls caught must be killed - you just can't re-use them as a bait....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Interesting.

This summer I will be fishing waters where I always catch crays..the American ones. If I have to kill them, it would be a waste not to use them. Anyone know how to cook them?, how about a barbeque?

Perhaps, as the crays came from the USA, some of our cousins over the water could tell us how to enjoy them.

Adrian

Nothing simpler. And they are wonderful eating.

Same precaution as with any similar critter (lobster, crab, etc.). Take a look Here for details on how to do them safely.

I personally like to put them live into a pot of boiling water which has a crab seasoning mix added. Crays taste a bit like lobster but the meat isn't nearly as rich and can benefit from the extra flavor.

Also nice is to add an equal weight of potatoes to the water but earlier since they will take around 15-20 minutes to cook and the crays only a couple of minutes.

Serve with beer.

We buy them by the 50lb sack(s) and have a party - big pot outside and boil away.

Only part most folks like is the tails. Hard core cray fans (including me) enjoy sucking the goo out of the head section as well. Looks nasty but tastes great.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

phonebush:

Yep,

Tastes just like chicken!

Phone :D

Not in a million year will you catch me sucking on the head.

Why does everything taste like Chicken?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!