Large tench and bream

Mally

does anybody have any tips on how to go about catching them? I know of two lakes near my house one has bream to a reputed 15lb and a lot over 6lb (i had a net of 7 fish for 49lb) and some large tench but i dont know how large. The other has supposedly got tench to 10lb with a 9 coming out last year. Ive never really gone on a campaign for fish but i feel this is what i need to do to go for these fish, The first water i am very reluctant to night fish because of the junkies and nutters that are likey to be in the area :mad: :mad: this water is mainly fished by carpers who go for weeknds or somtimes week long sessions, It is used for water sports, mostlty jet skies, but it isnt that massive around 600 meters by 350 meters, very roughly one end of it is shallow and full of islands etc. The second (10lb tench) water i will definately night fish, its a bit smaller than the first. and has a couple of read islands, but i dont think land surfaces. this lake is very rarely fished due to it having very few small fish and the carpers havent caught onto the carp there yet! I work for two weeks at a time away but then i have two weeks off to go for them. Does anyone have any tips, ie rigs, how to find the fish, just generally how to go about doing this, ive looked at the tench fishers web sit but it all looks a bit to much like carp fishing for me!! :rolleyes:

P.S. anyone in my area who is interested i might consider giving away a few details and going into a joint effort, i.e. split the workload! I live in the scunthorpe area. :D

[ 23 February 2002, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Mally ]

For the bream one word GROUND BAIT.Lots of it in the warmer months,caster and lob worms on your hook.

:D:D:D:D:D

tight lines to all

Jangar

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Mally, you may have to use boilies to get the really big tench and bream. It may not be true on your lake but most of the really big ones come out to carp anglers.

Check out what the other guys who are catching are using, you may have to use tactics that avoid the "smaller" fish, sad to say that the Sevens can spoil your chances!

On the other lake try spotting the tench, you may be able to select your target fish, but whatever don't neglect good old bread flake.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

To be honest i really dont mind wading through the sevens and eights to get to the bigger ones. if the bigger ones are more solitary though boillies may be a good idea, only thing then is avoiding the carp!!

Theres a water near me that has Bream at a similar size. The problem targeting the bigger ones is not just a case of wading through the 6's + 7's till a bigger one comes along.

With bream being a shoaling fish and shoaling together from birth the larger fish will be a sepperate shoal from the 6's & 7's.

On my water the shoal of 6/7's consists of around 40-50 fish and the bigger fish shoal is only 8 or 9 fish, I often see both shoals but never together and never in the same areas.

As Bream can be fairly consistant in the areas they move and feed try to find out any areas where the larger fish have been caught from and focus your attention on those areas, and if you cant get there to fish try to get there regular to put some bait in and try the area at different times morning, evening, night and build up a picture of when you are most likely to succeed. Catching large bream can be hard work but well worth the effort.

Scott.

www.thefishingdirectory.co.uk

Mally

If you go and have a look on fishingmagic.co.uk (Apologies Elton but it's relevant to this post.)

There are many articles on bream and tench fishing in the features section achieves. There are 3 of mine on natural lakes (Meres) and one from Neil Wayte on gravel pit fishing for bream.

What you perhaps don't know, is that Graham Marsden has been a bream and tench angler for over 30 years and tends to gravitate to this type of fishing on that site. That's not to say that Elton wouldn't if people submitted such articles to him.

Cheers Phil.

phil h.