Baid for pike

M.K

Hello every one.

I was thinking about using braid to do spinning for pike. Would I need a mono shock leader? That would make my rig have three different types of line material (braid, mono, wire trace). Quite complex.

M.K you can have 3 types of line, but the Mono goes on spool first ( to lock the line tight), if you attach Braid to spool direct, you can get slippage, which negates the use of the clutch etc.

Newt will say you can use Insulating tape, choose your poison.

Shock leaders add more Knots in places where you might not want them, I assume you want Mono to add spongyness, Don't bother , try instead to use the clutch, and the give of the rod, after all the braid is what allows you to feel those little knocks, might as well have it down to the wire.

You say " spinning for Pike", this is a big subject, what type of Lures?, what weight do you want to use?

I Know, I know, the answers only come later once you have tried the different styles, so I'll assume you will start with Crankbaits, Spinners in the common shop sizes ( Big S lures, No5 Aglia Blade spinners etc)- These lures are in the 10 to 20 Gram weight range usually.

If you are going to cast into all sorts of Snags and trees, don't be worried off by using 50lb braid, but if you think this sounds a little scary ( for some reason many people worry about the sound of high B.S Braids), then use 30lb, you might not get back as many lures though.

If you are using Fixed spool reel only, you might find the 30lb braid less hassle on casting.

50lb braid on some fixed spools can pull off rings of the stuff when you cast, causing tangles,

the only solution is less line on spool, hampering distance.

I have set-ups from 15lb( micro lite)- 100lb (Jerkbaiting), taking in 20lb, 30lb, 50lb, 80lb set-ups- .

The 15,20,30lb set-ups are fixed spool

I have 30,50,80,100lb set ups on the Multis.

When fishing for Chub/perch I do like to scale down a little, but I might be using tiny lures.

Anyway, you call yourself M.K, If you are anywhere near M.K, there are a few of us on this board who fish there, maybe you'd like to pop along sometime and ask anything.

all the best

Danny Hyde

Hi Mk,

I 'Spin' for Pike etc most of the time and use 50lb power=pro braid which i tie straight on to my wire trace.

I have had no problems that would require the use of a mono shock leader, just set your clutch to give line around the same as you would for your say 14lb mono,keep a slight angle in your rod (=not pointing straight at the spinner on retrieve )and just lift rod and bend into a fish instead of giving a big hard strike that is often required to set hooks with mono due to it's strech fator.

I haven't used lower B.S.braid for spinning but some do,as long as you follow the above you should be O.K. but the only problem i can think that you may have is that if you use lower B.S. braid and you use larger/heavier lures/plugs then there is a chance of snapping off if you go for a big long cast and put a lot of power into the cast.

If you are only going to be using 'Spinners' then 15-20lb b.S braid may do, i know some of the others here like Steve Burke use lighter braid for Perch spinning and they may add to this.

Hope this helps a bit,

Regards ,Richard

[ 01 April 2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Richard Harvey ]

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

The Mitchell 300 Pro at £49.00 is a winner. Stick with Fireline 30lb, with no leader or backing is great. That set up will cope with any pike that swims in UK waters. If you go for jerk baits you'll really need 50lb Fireline on a multiplier. But for general lure fishing the Mitchell, on a 7.5 ft long rod will do all most lure anglers actually need of a set-up.

Danny H:

Newt will say you can use Insulating tape, choose your poison.

Danny - it does work on fixed spool reels but I only use the tape if I need a full spool of the braid. Otherwise I also prefer some mono on first and wound on under tension so it stretches and makes a really nice, firm bed for the braid.

And I totally agree about using baitcasters (multipliers) for heavier work. Fixed spool is nice for lighter. And for really U/L, the US style "spin-cast" reels are wonderful. They deal with the really fine lines nicely where I have had problems with lots of casting using a small spinning (fixed spool) reel with lines in the 2-4lb diameter.

I use the PowerPro 10lb which is about a 2lb diameter for my U/L and they are simply the best reel style for it. Not even sure if you folks have them over there at all.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President