Pike killings

Stefan

On a public lake near my house, somebody has been catching and killing the pike, in the last 13 months upto 12 pike have been found (as i have been told by other anglers), me and a friend found 2. The person responsible is not known. These pike have been upto 15lbs in weight.

I know alot of you will not like to hear this, but i thought you would like to know what some people are like. This lake is now well out of balance with some pike growing very fat, but alot of stunted silver fish. The only consolation are the remaing bigger pike, and the huge perch.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefan, you need to find out who is doing this on your public lake, otherwise there will be no pike left in that water, there could be another Peter Collins person out there. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why some person want to kill such a magnificent creatures is pure beyond belief. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I live in London and similar is happening on the Grand Union Canal, but they are not just killing them! It's a touchy subject I know, but illegal imigrants are catching pike and carp and sometimes ducks and swans and eating them, entire families sat around gas stoves. I have noticed the fishing there has got harder and harder over the last year and other anglers have commented on it too.

The only thought I have on who might be killing your pike is this: Perhaps we are looking at an inexperienced angler who is panicking when trying to unhook the fish, so simply kills it to retreive the hook. It sounds unlikely I know, but just as unlikely as somebody having a vendetta against pike - unless it is somebody who likes to fish for smaller species and wants to reduce the amount of pike eating them!(which in itself is stupid, as you say - the other pike will just get fatter).

Simon

[ 16. June 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: BoozleBear ]

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

the second is not as far fetched as you may think.

A lot of ignorance surrounds the pike, many anglers think that removing them for the water and killing them is actually preserving something.

maybe all the monthly and weekly angling mags should get together and run a huge saturated campaign about the benefits of pike . . . apart from how aerodynamic they fly thro the air into the nearest bush

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

:mad: :mad: pike killers must hang!

stefan where is this lake or what area?

in london we have had problems with illegal immagrants,my local walthamstow ressies has some huge carp and good trout fishing,i know for a fact that they have been seen cooking and eating bream on the bank!and two were caught at night poaching they were caught in possesion of 6 rainbow trout and were beleived to have stolen more previously and also taken specimen carp!i have not yet come acroos them taking pike.however they do spin in the ressies to catch trout wich when legally caught (rod and line with a day ticket) they are allowed to take,so they may well have caught a pike or two.the solution is to stand up and say something,try catching thses poeple wethere they be disgruntled matchmen or illegal poachers.myself have and many others have told these idiots to politely f*k off.

if you dont like it you must do something about it contact PAC or the EA.

peter waller may be able to help more he knows alot about this sort of thing me thinks?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Yes, have a word with your local PAC. Public waters are not protected as they should be. Not only from fish killers but also bad fishermen.

It sounds like your local fish eaters need to be informed that their action is unacceptable. Is there a community centre that caters for these folk? Education is a way forward.

Have a word with your local police. Up here we have a 'water watch' scheme. Very much like neighbourhood watch. We take it in turns to patrol our local broad.

IMO it dosnt matter wether they are or are'nt the majority are,in london in the mornings you see them looking for building work on the corners,im not kidding.about 2-5 of em on th ebusy roads,im not going into politics n all that,point is you aint allowed to take the fish and thats that.i've had a couple take pictures of fish ive caught,they were ok..they had a 3 lb trout in there bag for tea thast ok there allowed them,they asked about the fish i had just caught i said to them,u know you cant take these like the trout,and they seemed to understand,but i wouldnt trust them.you can only educate so many others you cant,you have to then to some extent discourage them,they even have a combination lock now on the gates.

[ 16. June 2004, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Lets stay with the facts shall we, then we might make some progress. Eastern europeans whether illegal or otherwise are not noted for catching fish and throwing them up the bank. It sounds more like locals who are misguidedly trying to protect silver fish stocks. How you deal with it depends on who is responsible for the water.

If its a local club, they need to know, who knows they may even have a policy of killing pike. If its the local authority then their parks department or recreation dept need to be informed. Either way you could do worse than contacting your local PAC rep who might be prepared to take some action or offer advise. It might be also helpful to contact the local EA office. Write to them, don't phone, they are much more likely to take you seriously.

But forget the Euro gangs.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Ill second that bruno!!!

Too many people in the Uk are jumping on the BNP bandwagon.

All that ***** coming through their letterboxes.they listen to it!

A few people in england are the first to blame asylum seekers etc, but they are the last to balme the dole cheating white person down the road whos probably done it!