Pike killings

Stefan

Some years ago John, a small carp water near me, Spratts Water, was known to hold a big pike. It did, over 31 pounds. Me being me caught her, and quietly returned her, no publicity for obvious reasons. But a few weeks later I heard that she'd been caught again, and returned, this time with much publicity. Once again, a few weeks later, she was caught again. But this time, according to witnesses, she was kicked to death and left to rot. Now the big carp are in competition with loads of small carp and the fishing has gone right down the pan, serve 'em right! The only consolation is that the small fish suit the children that now use the pond.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say that it is Anglers Mail and other places that have said the pike eating etc is down to illegal imigrants, not me making a sweeping generalisation.

I am happy to share this country with anybody who cares to come here, and am personally delighted that my son shares his schoolroom and playground with children from Turkey, Russia, Croatia, France and Israel to name but a few places. To be labeled BNP for mentioning something I'd read in the fishing press is, I believe very unfair and I want to clear that up.

What annoys me is that we are sharing our banks with people who are ruining the name of the sport, and worse, killing fish. Whether these people come from Bosnia, Timbuktu or Surrey it's all the same to me.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

That Simon, is a very fair comment, and one I can relate to. However, the tone of some postings has not been so reasonable as yours.

In fairness to Anglers Mail I believe their comments were aimed at the known illegal immigrant problem on the Fens. Fish killing is rife up there, the problems being attributable both to Peter Collins and the widespread use of illegal immigrant work forces, and a well known restaurant buying off the local kids who are after pocket money!

I'm not sure that AM has used the term with regard to other areas.

[ 21. June 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Once upon a time not so long ago UK residents born and bred used to catch, kill and eat all manner of coarse fish to suppliment their diets. Almost every market town across the country used to sell coarse fish in fish mongers shops or on market stalls. Even though this was common in the 1800's and beyond it does serve to demonstrate we are not that far advanced in our coarse fishing sporting ideology to that of our other European counterparts. In other countries catching and eating coarse fish is a perfectly natural and legitimate practise.

Personally though the picture that eating a bream conjures up makes me baulk in anticipation of such a slimey feast.

BB.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Bream were a table fish as well, Perch are and of course Pike, Trout and Eels.

Its only with the advent of deep sea fishing and the freezer, that Sea fish have come to supplant freshwater fish on the table to the extent they have.

But that lot is by the way.

The killing of the Pike in such a manner is wrong, for the sport and for the eccology. One local club, I am told, (Bradford No1 AC) is being urged, by a few well connected folk, to cull the river Nidd, as the place has a lot of small jacks. Unfortunately, this is because the larger Pike, that would have delt with this problem, have already been culled previously. At the urging of these same people! Who only want to catch a large net of small fish.

Why do we do this? Let well alone and in a few years the pike will grow big enough again to do their own culling.

BOF

[ 24. June 2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: bof ]

Bof, carp, bream and tench are a staple food fish in eastern europe. I remember as a child growing up in East London and seeing these fish on the jewish fishmongers stands in Whitechapel market. I also remember seeing large roach.

I suspect with the exception of known poisonous species, that any fish however bland or muddy, can be made palatable with a handfull of herbs and spices. What you're prepared to eat just depends on the culture you grew up in and how hungry you are.

I have South Korean clients and whenever I visit, I'm offered food. I always sneak a quick look into the kitchen just in case highland terrier was on the menu.

[ 24. June 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

"I have South Korean clients and whenever I visit, I'm offered food. I always sneak a quick look into the kitchen just in case highland terrier was on the menu."

In the case of Korean visitors always wise. Dog is quite a delicasy back home.

BOF